Wednesday 19 September 2018

When the wind blows!

I took Sophie to work this morning as tonight we're off to the Northampton Filmhouse to see The King, a documentary about Elvis. We left at 8am and had a stress-free journey to work and after sitting with her in the car for a few minutes as we were very early, I returned home to clean the house.

I wasn't really keen on doing it but it had to be done and we even roped Mike in to clean his room. He called in sick this morning as he said his ankle really hurt, but Keith and I both had our doubts about that!

I started upstairs and hoovered away all the tiny brown leaves that had been blown in through the windows. It's very windy at the moment as the first of the 2018/2019 storms have arrived in the UK. My name has made it on the list this year!

They are:

Ali
Bronagh
Callum
Deidre
Erik
Freya
Gareth
Hannah
Idris
Jane
Kevin
Lily
Max
Niamh
Oliver
Peggy
Ross
Saoirse
Tristan
Violet
Win

Storm Ali mainly affected the north of the UK and Ireland but we have another one (Bronagh) approaching later this week with weather warnings covering our area. I'm not sure we'll get to Jane but it would be fun if it was an interesting storm!

As usual, whenever it's windy, we had a gathering of leaves by the back door and it drove me mad that as soon as I'd hoovered them up, they all came back again and even made it into the house!

By 2pm I was all done and feeling quite tired. Not only had I cleaned the whole house (OK, Keith did the bathroom) I'd changed our bed and Mike's bed as well! At least it was easy getting the washing dry as the wind was ferocious! I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up at 3.30pm to get showered and ready for our evening out.

I picked Sophie up at 5pm and we drove straight into town and parked in the Derngate car park. I'd noticed that Kinky Boots was showing in the theatre in the evening so it was good that we were early and able to find a space.

We'd discussed what we were going to do to eat and in the end we settled on getting a Chinese takeaway on the way home. We had a glass of wine in John Franklin's and then walked the short distance to the cinema at 6pm. We're also going again on Saturday, to see Mrs Doubtfire, and I tried to change my tickets as I'd booked seats right by the wall instead of by the aisle, but they couldn't change them. We caused havoc as three members of staff tried to sort it out!

The documentary was very interesting but was as much about the USA as it was about Elvis. The film-maker took Elvis's Rolls Royce across America, inviting different people into the car along the way (including famous actors) to talk about Elvis and the way the country is today.

We emerged at about 8.30pm and picked up a takeaway on the way home, which was delicious! Keith had enjoyed an evening to himself and Mike was out, as usual!

No comments: