Tuesday 11 September 2018

A full day!

It was great to have a day off today but I was very busy! I spent the morning sorting out stuff for the sale on Saturday and ironed more bedding and clothes. Outside it was grey but breezy and rain had been forecast for later in the afternoon.

Sophie sent me a text with a colleague's address as she is going to the NEC in Birmingham tomorrow and will be brought back to a house in Desborough. As I'm working until 8pm tomorrow night, it'll be Keith that has to go and pick her up so we drove over to find it.

On the way back the weather grew drizzly and misty - horrible! We drove down to collect Sophie from work at lunchtime and took her for a Costa at Riverside. It was lovely to catch up for an hour and it really breaks up her day. I had a chicken pasta salad for lunch that was far more pasta than chicken - I found just two slices of meat!

Back home we pootled about and I did some research on Keith's family tree. I learnt that his great-grandmother was living on a farm in Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1861 and was a servant to two unmarried brothers and their unmarried sister. She was 17 and I can only imagine the sort of life she had, right on the Scottish borders where it would have been freezing in winter. The brothers were 56 and 65 and I can't understand why none of the family were married? It really intrigued me!

In the evening we all went out to Akasaka for a meal and I think Keith enjoyed his first real taste of Japanese cuisine! He went for the Chicken Gyoza and then the Katsu curry while I tried the octopus meatballs as a starter.

They look like muffins!

I was given four and they were delicious! Mike sampled the crispy fried squid with a chilli dipping sauce and he said it was lovely. It was much busier than it usually is, which was a good sign!

After the meal we went to the Errol Flynn (now re-named the Northampton Filmhouse) to see BlacKkKlansman which was by turns funny and sad, especially the last scenes of the film. We enjoyed the movie but it was very thought-provoking.

It was a late night and we arrived home at 11pm. Yawn!

No comments: