Sunday 17 June 2018

Father's Day treat!

We enjoyed a lazy morning and at midday, Sophie and I went to collect my Mum and Dad as we were taking them out for lunch for Father's Day. Mike had made an appearance earlier so Keith was able to open his presents and cards from him and Sophie.

Today has been grey and overcast with a nasty little wind blowing. My Dad was very pleased with his bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon and his card from me. I just hope it puts a bit of colour in his cheeks!

We drove to Sywell as I'd planned on going to The Aviator, a bar and restaurant for lunch. I'd looked on the menu and was sure they served sandwiches and snacks but when we got there they were only doing Sunday roasts. My plan fell to pieces! Last year, when I'd been delivering wine here I'd seen people sitting on the terrace and enjoying lunch whilst watching the planes so that was a huge disappointment. There was another cafe called The Pilots Mess but it was a fair walk away and then up two flights of stairs so that was definitely out! My Dad was OK walking with a crutch but already he looked tired.

We had no option but to go to Beckworth, and I'm glad we did, as we had a lovely, relaxed lunch. We had to wait about twenty minutes and Mum and Dad were given a chair to sit on while we waited, at the front of the queue so they didn't have to stand.

I ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio for Sophie, Mum and me while Dad enjoyed a glass of Rioja. We had a really lovely lunch and a good chat but afterwards we took Mum and Dad straight home without looking at the plants and food as he'd done more in a couple of hours than he'd done in six weeks, and was really tired.

Sophie and I returned home and I had a nap on the sofa before we prepared tonight's meal - Chicken in Brandy - from the Hairy Bikers' Mums Know Best recipe book. It was very straightforward and not at all complicated!

No comments: