Tuesday 10 May 2016

Return of the rat...

Today hasn't been the best of days, I'm afraid! It started with an argument with Mike who refused to hurry this morning to get ready for school. Sophie had an exam at 9.30am and really wanted to leave home at 8am but Mike still wasn't ready and didn't hesitate in being rude. Coupled with that, the weather has been horrible all day - misty, horrible rain with no glimpse of sunshine at all.

After taking both kids to school and uni Keith and I came home then went out to get some bread at the local shop and had poached eggs on toast for breakfast. While he made Shepherd's pie out of the leftover lamb from Sunday I attempted to read the next section of my counselling course on grief and bereavement...not the ideal topic on a day like today!

We picked Sophie up from uni at 11.30am and she said that her exam had been horrible and very difficult. To celebrate we went off to McDonald's so she could have fried chicken for lunch and I said I'd like a McFlurry. The nearest restaurant was at Weston Favell and it was just a little depressing, to be honest. We discovered that McDonald's had no McFlurries at all so I sat and watched her eat and Keith enjoy a cup of tea before we splashed our way home again.

I did make some muffins in the afternoon, though, and enjoyed one with a cup of tea. Keith made a bread and butter pudding and some garlicky cheese scones, so we really have been busy bakers today! Whilst we were sitting in the conservatory in the afternoon we were shocked and very angry to see a rat again. I'm not sure whether it's the same one (it looked a bit different) but it tried to make off with one of the fat snax. Keith went rushing outside but it scuttled off along the fence and through a hole. I was furious, as we'd spent £90 for absolutely nothing, and this annoyed me more than anything else today.

Mike stayed with a friend overnight as he was still very angry with us about this morning even though he was the one being rude and unhelpful. I talked to him via Messenger and at least by the time I'd gone to bed we'd made peace. Dinner tonight was lasagne, another first for us, and although it was delicious (I'm not sure I'll ever buy a Dolmio sauce again) I don't think we used enough pasta sheets as it was rather gloopy!



No comments: