Wednesday 25 May 2016

Animal antics!

Unusually, when I came downstairs this morning, Monty wasn't on his bed. Keith said he was still outside on his bed in the garage, which was completely out of character for him! He hadn't even eaten his breakfast!

I went out to get him and noticed how cold and windy it was. The weather has certainly taken a turn for the worse and the sunshine has well and truly disappeared to be replaced with grey skies and drizzle. Horrible!

I picked Monty up and brought him in to have his breakfast but he just looked at it and hobbled off to the living room looking like an old, tired man. I put him in his bed but he was obviously in pain as he growled at me. However, once he'd settled he went to sleep but I was a bit worried about him. Sophie would be devastated if anything happened to our remaining cat.

When I went to wake Sophie up she said there'd been an almighty fight at about 2am this morning between Monty and another cat. A neighbouring cat, who we thought was Monty's little buddy, sat watching the scrap as if he was a spectator at a boxing match! I told her that Monty didn't seem well so we both agreed to let him sleep in peace and not disturb him. I just hope he feels better later on!

While I was having my coffee we saw the rat. Keith and I ran upstairs and asked Mike for his air rifle. He set it up in the en-suite bathroom as there's a great vantage point there from which to take a shot. I heard the rifle go off and saw the rat run back into the bushes but I don't think Mike hit him. He was a  bit grumpy as he has two exams today, bless him, and said it was too much stress to be dealing with so early in the morning!

A bit later on, after Keith had got back from taking Mike to school, we saw the little blighter again and I'm not sure but I think this time I may have hit it. I stood, like a sniper, at the window and lined him up in my sights. Only time will tell if we got him, but I left some more food out in the hope of enticing him and saw nothing. Is it over and out for the rat?!


No comments: