Saturday 28 May 2016

A spot of gardening

I saw the blasted rat again this morning so obviously my shot was not on target the other day. He really is a huge animal - I don't think I've ever seen a rat so big so we are going to have to think up a new tactic. The last straw is a glue trap but this has the disadvantage of also trapping other animals and birds although you can release them with vegetable oil. It would mean that the rat would be alive when we caught him so it's something we're going to have to think carefully about!

Sophie was off to London this morning so I took her and Daisy down to the station and made sure she was able to get her ticket easily. I said goodbye and called into Aldi on the way home to buy the newspaper and some rolls for breakfast. I called Keith to say I was on my way home and to start cooking the sausages when the traffic all ground to a halt. I wasn't sure what was happening but after about fifteen minutes of crawling along I realised it was a Steam Engine probably making its way to a nearby show and it was holding us all up!

It must have been going about 0.0001 miles an hour and had a vehicle with it warning us all it was going slow...duh! I really don't think a vehicle that slow should be allowed on the roads and I dread to think what the traffic was like behind me as the road I was on was quite a busy route! Luckily it pulled onto the path and we were all able to get past and speed away. I was hungry!

After breakfast I took Mike to Brixworth and when I arrived home Keith had sold the bike! I was a bit worried that the woman was either a) not going to turn up at all or b) say it wasn't suitable so I was overjoyed to discover that it had all gone very smoothly. Job done!

To celebrate we went and did some gardening and I have to say that when I finished I was very happy with how the garden looked. I dug a load of earth into the rat run at the back of the border and put a big stick in the opening. It probably won't stop our furry friend but it may slow him down a bit!

Monty came out with us and had a mad moment in one of the bushes. I have no idea what he was up to but he seemed to be enjoying himself!

The border which I filled with some of our potted plants

Monty in the bush







No comments: