Tuesday 3 May 2016

An afternoon spent baking!

It was back to reality today and after dropping Mike off at school I came home to give my car a good wash as the new windscreen was being fitted later in the day. A mini-digger had been delivered over the road at Sue and Paul's house as the builders were now concentrating on their garden. Annoyingly, a young lad was driving up and down the road and in and out of Sue's drive on the digger and every time it reversed it made an extremely loud beeping noise.

I have no idea why he was driving aimlessly about and as he drove past me for the upteenth time I glared at him. He said he didn't mean to be annoying but I replied that he was and that I had a daughter inside trying to revise for exams. I wouldn't have minded if he been actually doing something but the constant beep was driving me mad!

After I spoke to him, he drove the ruddy thing into the garden but the beeps went on, intermittently, for the rest of the day! I finished cleaning my car and then started on the downstairs of the house which needed hoovering and dusting badly! Keith came home from his walk and the windscreen man arrived at lunchtime, just as it started to rain. We had to swap the cars about and make sure mine was under cover so he could get on with the job.

I spent the afternoon in the kitchen making Irish bread from a mix we'd bought in Aldi and a Quiche Lorraine. I'd never made quiche before and I doubt I'll ever go to the trouble of making it again as it was quite a long, albeit, simple process. However, they can be so good from the supermarkets that in future I'll buy them! I had to make shortcrust pastry, leave it in the fridge to chill for half an hour and then blind bake it with the beans I'd bought the other day. I then cooked streaky bacon and onion and covered those two with smelly Gruyere cheese that took ages to grate! The final process was to mix cream and eggs together and pour the mixture over the bacon, cheese and onions before baking in the oven for half an hour.

We had the quiche for dinner in the evening and although it was enjoyable I should have served it hot, rather than letting it cool over the afternoon. I am pleased, though, that I made it but next time I'll get a Tesco Finest!

No comments: