Thursday 5 May 2016

Casting votes

On the way to taking the kids to school and uni this morning my mobile rang and it was Mum to say that my Dad had fallen over in the shower at their hotel down in Torquay. They had gone to stay in the seaside town for a few days as they have friends there, but this morning, the last of their short stay, he'd slipped and fell. At first he was badly winded and couldn't get his breath which frightened Mum a lot. However, after calling the owners of the hotel who helped considerably they got him to his feet but his toe had been cut and his ribs were really sore. Mum was sure he wouldn't be able to drive home today as planned so after telling her to call me when he'd been checked out at the hospital I rang off, feeling very worried.

After we'd dropped the children off Keith went for another walk I stayed at home to do more housework. As we're out in the garden a bit more lately we seem to be treading more bits in onto the carpet which looks like it needs hoovering every day! Grrr! I also did another of my hated jobs - the bathrooms! We had a date for installation of our en-suite the other day - the 18 July. It can't come soon enough!

As soon as Keith came home from his walk we showered and went off to do the weekly shop. I know I said I would never set foot in Aldi again but I couldn't leave my husband to do the whole shop on his own so I went with him. Happily, today though, was fine and we whizzed through our list and got back home without any angry words or stress!

Sophie had stayed at uni all morning for an exam and then went out with her friends for a lunchtime meal. Luckily, her friend Hannah brought her home so we didn't have to venture out again and when Mike asked to go to Brixworth, the answer was a resounding "No!"

Mum phoned in the afternoon and said that Dad had been checked out at A&E but there wasn't really a lot they could do for his ribs. The hotel owners had been fantastic and had said they could stay another night free of charge which was lovely of them. I told Mum that if Dad felt he couldn't drive on Friday Keith and I would come down to Torquay and I'd drive his car home.

Keith, Sophie and I went out later in the day as we had to vote for the local Police and Crime Commissioner in the village. I had a brief look at the candidates but I don't think any of us were really that interested. We went to the pub for a quick drink afterwards and sat in the window watching the world go by. It's been another beautiful day again today and I'm getting very used to sitting in the garden and enjoying the sun!


No comments: