Saturday 17 May 2014

The smells of summer...

I was horrified to look at the bedside clock this morning when I woke up to see that it was almost 10am! Half the day had gone! In my defence, though, we didn't go to bed until about 1am so I obviously needed the sleep!

Today we did very little as the weather was warm and sunny with nearly cloudless blue skies. I didn't drive anywhere and my car only went to the nearest shop when Keith went to get the newspaper. We had breakfast and then I spent most of today sitting in the garden, soaking up the sun and reading. First thing, Keith, Mikey and I took part in a shooting competition and it was great fun. We set up the target on a large soap powder box and spent about two hours shooting which was good practice for Mikey. I loved it and managed to get very close to the centre target!

In the afternoon, Keith handed me a large glass of white wine so that was it for me for the rest of the day. The boys decided to light the chiminea and burned all the old wood that we'd gathered over the winter. They had a brilliant time keeping the fire going and making lots of smoke and smells.

After a quick tidy-up of the house and a lovely soak in the bath to get rid of the smoky smells, we lit the barbecue and created more summery aromas. I'm surprised there wasn't a huge smoky haze over the whole of the UK today!


No comments: