Monday 26 May 2014

The non-barbecue barbecue...

The beautiful warm and sunny weather of last week was a distant memory when I got up this morning and looked out on grey skies. I had really wanted today to be sunny and dry but the weather obviously had other ideas as the rain has fallen almost constantly all day.

It irks me very much as we are closed at work today and I just know that we would have been busy! Never mind...we decide in advance to close on Bank Holiday Mondays so it's a decision we have to live with, whether it rains or not! We were smug last time so it's all a question of balance!

Keith and I were up later than we wanted to be, but we didn't really have a lot to do, except tackle the huge pile of ironing and change the bedding on the children's beds. We did get the map of Florida out and have a look at it, but our grey skies and drizzle put a dampener on looking at hotels and planning the holiday. I'd much rather do that when the sun is shining!

In the afternoon, Sophie, Mum and I went over to Beckworth Emporium. I was looking forward to a late lunch and some shopping, but when we saw the queues for the restaurant we decided to leave. I've never seen it so busy!

We drove through the pouring rain to a Nursery between Holcot and Brixworth that I've wanted to try ever since it opened, but it was closed. Before we went over to the garden centre near Harlestone Firs we tried Covey Plant Nurseries as they advertised a cafe. Sophie wasn't at all keen and tried to persuade me to drive on, but it was now almost 3.30pm, I was low on diesel and the other garden centre was another ten minutes away.

We didn't have the best of experiences, I'm afraid. It was chucking it down with rain, and the man in the cafe seemed reluctant to make us anything to eat so Sophie shot me looks of pure venom as she said she was famished. We settled on a slice of cake each and a cup of tea, but the place was very quiet and with the grey skies and rainfall outside it wasn't the most cheery of places!

After we'd had our cake we ventured out into the rain and I bought some geraniums and a lavender plant. By the time we'd chosen and bought them, we all resembled drowned rats!

Back home we abandoned all plans to barbecue and Keith cooked the meats in the oven and on our George Foreman grill. Not exactly what we had in mind, but it had to do. It was so chilly we even lit the fire in the living room...brrrr!

No comments: