Saturday 24 February 2024

Chucking out time!

I was awake at a much more reasonable time of 7am this morning and went downstairs for a coffee. Outside, it was frosty and foggy and the forecast for today was sunny, but cold and dry. Hooray!

Keith and I decided to take our old fridge to the tip today, as well as the wheelie bin full of garden rubbish. We had great difficulty getting the fridge into my car as it was so heavy, but finally, it was in and we secured the boot with elastic ties.

We both had to sit in the front with our knees under our chins, and it was an uncomfortable drive to Brixworth! It was great to get rid of the horrible old thing and return home to put the much lighter wheelie bin in the back of the car! Vikesh had driven over to see Sophie and we passed them walking up to the pub on our second visit to the tip.

Once this was done we decided to try and get our other fridge to work. It was almost brand new but the door wouldn't close properly so it had stood empty for years! We stood it on a level part of the garage floor and tried to adjust the door, managing to actually take it off its hinges! Keith then had to put it back on, but no matter what we did, the door wouldn't close tightly. We had no option but to get rid of it as well. Luckily, this fridge was a lot lighter and smaller than the other one, so we had no difficulty getting it into the back of the car!

After our third trip, we returned home and I hoovered and tidied up. Sophie and Vikesh arrived shortly afterwards and played Monopoly while I managed to grab something to eat. Keith and I sat and watched the rugby and horse racing and when Vikesh had gone, I had a nap.

We didn't bother with dinner this evening as Sophie had enjoyed lunch at the pub, and Keith and I grazed on some snacks. I opened a bottle of Beaumes de Venise red which we'd bought last year in France, but the cork was stuck in the neck of the bottle and I had to dig a hole and then filter the wine through a sieve! It was worth the effort though, but I do sometimes wish the French would adopt the screw-top method!

No comments: