Wednesday 14 February 2024

Anti-Valentine!

Today has been challenging! Sophie worked from home and didn't go to the gym, so I was up slightly later than normal. The cats had very thoughtfully bought me a Valentine's Day card, and some presents for Keith and me, so that was lovely! How advanced they are, and they're not even 1 year old yet! 





We had arranged for our conservatory to be cleaned today, but the window cleaner texted me to say he had family problems and had to postpone. I was glad because the weather, although mild, was drizzly in the morning, with heavy rain in the evening.

I spent the morning catching up with jobs that needed doing, which included the highly exciting task of cleaning out the fridge and cupboards and writing the shopping list. I went out to our garage fridge to check what was in there and was dismayed to find it looking horrible and mouldy. We only store bottles of drink in there, but I emptied it out and said to Keith that we should throw the fridge out. He refused, saying he wanted to put his beer in there so we had a huge argument. Not very romantic on Valentine's Day! The fridge is as old as the hills and is disgusting. Because we were arguing, Keith transferred some of his money into another one of his accounts but didn't know where it had gone. He blamed me for the mistake as we'd been arguing! While this was going on, a beautiful bouquet of red roses arrived for Sophie, which prompted me to make a sarcastic remark to my husband... oh dear!

Keith eventually relented and said that we would take the fridge to the tip at the weekend, so I won that particular argument! It's only because I'm worried about the mould in there and how unhealthy it is!

It was lovely to have lunch with Sophie, though, and we enjoyed nachos with chilli and cheese. After clearing up, I showered and drove over to the care home to see my Mum. I'd arranged to take her shopping but when I arrived she was sitting on the sofa looking woebegone. She said she had a headache and didn't want to venture out, so I made a list of things she wanted and said I'd go shopping. My Dad was downstairs watching a cabaret act with the other residents, and there had been a lovely atmosphere when I'd walked in.

I drove over to Kettering and decided to go into Next and buy myself some new perfume. I love Chanel for special occasions, but for work and everyday smellies, I wear Next's Eau Nude. However, I fancied something different, so I spent a little time spraying different scents onto my wrist and picked out one called Cashmere, which was lovely. A Valentines treat for me!

After doing my shopping in Aldi, I headed back to the care home, dropped the toiletries off for Mum and sat with her for a chat. Just as we were going back down to the lift, my Dad came up and said the show had been great. My Mum really should have gone and enjoyed it!

Back home, I made tea for everyone and sat with Sophie in the conservatory. She took a call and I made a couple of noises, earning me a telling off, so we had an argument... my second of the day. Yes, the common denominator was me!

Thankfully, we made up and before dinner we cracked open a bottle of pink Prosecco and relaxed. Dinner this evening was cold meats, salads and nibbles and then it was another episode of the disturbing True Detective!

Happy Valentie's Day!


No comments: