Thursday 20 July 2023

WFH...

Today has certainly been interesting! Sophie went to the gym as usual at 6am and I went back to bed as I felt really tired still. I didn't even wake up when she texted me to say she was on her way home!

She set up her laptop in the kitchen and had her breakfast while Keith and I stayed in the living room. She had a bit of trouble connecting the phone but was soon all set. The problem with being in the kitchen, though, was that Keith and I normally do a lot in there - making our breakfast, cleaning up, emptying the dishwasher, and preparing the dinner - and all that involves a certain amount of noise!

She had various meetings throughout the morning and was taking phone calls, so she moved into the conservatory which made more sense, and was quieter. I gave the top oven a good clean, and Keith and I had breakfast and we didn't disturb her.

At lunchtime, Sophie and I drove over to Brixworth as I needed to get a birthday card for Sheila and we needed a pepper for tonight's dinner. While we were gone, Keith took advantage of the empty house and fried off the minced beef and onions!

The weather has been lovely today with fluffy clouds, blue skies, and sunshine. The temperatures have been reasonable, not like Southern Europe where Italy and Greece are suffering a terrible heatwave with the mercury up in the 40s. It's been going on for days with no respite, and it must be horrendous!

Working from home for Sophie hasn't been wonderful today, she admitted. In the afternoon she was hot sitting in the conservatory and she couldn't get comfortable with her laptop wherever she went. Maybe WFH isn't what it's cracked up to be! She did enjoy her short commute from the kitchen to her bedroom, though!

I sat and watched the new series of Earth presented by Chris Packham before dinner. I'm not normally a fan of Chris Packham - he's always seemed a bit bumptious to me - but he was excellent presenting this programme about earth's history and I learned a lot. I had no idea that 252 million years ago (can you even comprehend that amount of time?) the earth heated up to the extent that almost all of the living beings on earth were wiped out?

The one thing he said at the end was that, no matter what effect we have on the earth in terms of global warming, it will survive and thrive even if we're the masters of our own demise. But, he said, did we really want that on our conscience? Very thought-provoking!

No comments: