Thursday 27 July 2023

A disappointing evening...

I had a frustrating journey to work this morning, getting behind two slow vehicles and being forced to overtake one of them as they were doing thirty miles an hour! 

Work was busy, as usual, and it was great to escape at 2pm and dash home. I had agreed to make a corn and chicken chowder soup for dinner, so I made a start after a quick cup of tea. Keith had chopped up a potato, an onion and a red pepper so I sauteéd them in butter, before adding stock, cooked chicken, sweetcorn, milk and an addition that wasn't in the recipe, butter beans. I let it slowly simmer and then left it to finish off just before we ate.

Tonight was unofficial wine night as Sophie is going over to Vikesh's house tomorrow. We opened the bottle of The Ned Pinot Grigio I'd bought in Waitrose and enjoyed some nibbles. Both of us were disappointed with the wine - it was a 2022 vintage and hadn't the beautiful rose hue it normally has. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between this £12 bottle and a Pinot Gris from Aldi costing about £7! 

When I went out into the kitchen to heat up the soup, Sophie went into the conservatory and started shrieking... we had flying ants in there and they were everywhere! She fetched the hoover and started trying to get rid of them, in between screaming and yelling!

In the end, and much against my will, we had to spray the room and shut the door. I thought I had seen one in the living room earlier and I was right. Pesky things!

Unfortunately, the soup did not go down well with Keith and Sophie. They said that the potatoes were hard and Sophie said I hadn't cooked the onions and the peppers enough even though it had been simmering for ages... oh dear! There was a lot left over, so Keith and I said we'd have it tomorrow when Sophie is out for the evening. I said I would heat it again and make sure the potatoes were cooked properly!

No comments: