Wednesday 26 July 2023

A change of scene

Sophie was working from home again today but went to the gym first, as usual. I went back to bed and woke up when she was leaving.

Today, she went straight into the conservatory, and apart from a huge piece of machinery on a lorry delivering something next door - we had no idea what it was but a long telescopic arm stretched out and deposited something in the back garden... it was like Alien - she didn't have a lot of disturbance.

I pottered about doing jobs and cooked leftover potatoes and sausages for brunch. The weather has been beautiful this morning with plenty of sunshine and blue skies. I gazed out at the back lawn knowing I could have spent all day sorting it out, as well as working in the front garden, but it'll just have to wait until the weekend!

When Sophie had lunch, we sat down to write the list and devise our meals for the rest of the week. It's getting harder every time! At least we're all out on Saturday, and Sophie is going to see Vikesh on Friday, so that was two days that were easier! We all seem to have developed pet hates about certain foods, and I'm fed up with everything! We finally decided, and I felt like cheering!

In the early afternoon, I collected my Mum and we drove over to Waitrose in Rushden, for a change. I was bored with visiting Tesco with her! We had a cup of tea first in the café and had a chat. Outside, it had clouded over so the forecast was correct about rain later in the day!

We each did some shopping, and I bought some fresh pasta for tonight's dinner. I had fancied ravioli the other day but I certainly wasn't prepared to make it after the fiasco last time, so I looked for something different in the pasta aisle.

I spotted a pack of "Slow Braised Shin of Beef Tortelloni", so that went in the trolley, as well as some Puttanesca sauce (after consultation with Sophie) and a side salad. The pasta wasn't cheap - it was £5.25 per pack and I bought two so there would be enough for Sophie's lunch tomorrow - and I hoped it would satisfy my pasta craving (which I don't have often!).

We drove home via the scenic route through Wilby, Sywell and along the A43, and it started to rain. What a difference to the weather this morning! I dropped Mum off and sped home to see Keith and Sophie and do the usual Wednesday afternoon chores. Sophie had a good look at my purchases and said she would bulk out the sauce with an onion, carrots and red wine. I had forgotten to buy Italian cheese, so that did not go down well...

Sophie cooked, and her sauce was delicious, but the pasta was disappointing. It had no taste! I also thought that the pasta was too thick so that won't be a dish I'll be buying again. Sophie also made a batch of crunchy garlic bread which was gorgeous, and far better than the shop-bought loaf we had the other evening. She put a generous portion of the pasta into a tub for her lunch at work tomorrow so that was good.

This evening, Keith and I attempted to watch another episode of Earth and this one was a bit chemistry-based, with lots of talk about oxygen, methane, carbon dioxide and how we're protected on Earth by a precious layer of essential gasses, that haven't been around since the beginning of time. How they got to be in the atmosphere was fascinating!

No comments: