Wednesday 12 July 2023

Out for lunch

Keith and I had decided to take my parents out for lunch today, but our original plan to go to Darlington's restaurant at Weedon and sit in the sun, was thwarted by the weather. We agreed it was too windy to sit outside and rain was forecast for the afternoon.

We collected Mum and Dad at 11am, and had a bit of difficulty getting the wheelchair in the back of the Golf. We'd done it so easily last time! Once we'd shoehorned it in, we set off along the A43 towards Moulton Park, and then out to Duston to show them where the old Travis Perkins building had been demolished.

As it wasn't midday yet, we turned left and drove out towards the M1 at junction 16. I was astounded when the road we normally take had disappeared! There was so much building work going on with new houses being built and more fields fenced off for future construction. We had to drive into Duston and I completely lost my bearings! I turned around and we headed towards the tiny hamlet of Nobottle and then took a right back towards Duston.

Dobbies garden centre was busy, and we had to take a table in the dog friendly section of the café, much to Keith's annoyance. I took orders from everyone and went to the counter to pay.

Mum and Dad ate hardly any lunch which was disappointing, and after looking around and seeing some beautiful fish and plants, I bought some wine and bread rolls in the Waitrose outlet and we headed back. Dad was asleep the whole way back and I had a feeling it wasn't the most successful of outings...

Once we'd dropped Mum and Dad back, we went home to catch up with our usual Wednesday chores - preparing dinner, hoovering, and doing the shopping list. We have a busy weekend coming up with Vikesh coming over on Saturday, and Laura and her little dog spending the afternoon with us on Sunday.

I made a pea and ham soup for dinner which was lovely and easy and we enjoyed it with some toasted leftover cheesy bread and the rolls I'd bought at Waitrose today.

Shockingly, we discovered the identity of the BBC presenter who'd been paying a teenager for explicit photos... it was Huw Edwards, lynchpin of the News at Ten and someone I thought was a thoroughly decent man. Apparently, he is in hospital having a nervous breakdown, which isn't surprising seeing as his career and family life are probably in tatters!


No comments: