Tuesday 9 November 2021

Wacky Races!

The commute into work at 7.30am is definitely not pleasant! This morning I was stuck behind the most enormous tractor I'd ever seen. When I got to Walgrave he turned right, and I was tempted to go left and drive through Hannington, but he did seem to be driving quite fast as we entered the village, so I stayed behind him. I wish I hadn't! Another Audi driver behind me obviously thought I should overtake, and drove close to me and in the middle of the road, all the way to Holcot yet didn't have the bravado to overtake.

The tractor was so large (I could have stood up in its wheels) that oncoming vehicles had to keep right to the edge of the road, so if the Audi behind me expected me to risk my life to gain a few seconds on the commute, he was mistaken! There are also remnants of the trees that came down a few weeks ago on the verge, and the tractor was driving in the middle of the road to avoid them!

Once I'm off the country roads and onto the A43, it's like the Wacky Races, especially on the new stretch of dual carriageway. It definitely is dog-eat-dog, and I think back fondly to the days when I drove in at 9.30am and everything was a lot calmer!

Work was better today and not so busy as there were four of us manning the phones, and I managed to input the Christmas crash courses onto the system. It was great to look forward to two days off! Once I was home I called my Mum, as it was her birthday today, but she'd spent part of it at the dentist with my Dad! This time last year she was in isolation because of a positive Covid test, but I've arranged for them both to come to us tomorrow for tea and cake.

Keith went to watch Sileby play this evening, and Sophie and I enjoyed a garlicky chicken breast with crispy potatoes and vegetables. We had decided to watch The Holiday, always a favourite in our house, so we had an exceedingly pleasant evening!


No comments: