Saturday 20 November 2021

Getting crafty!

Sophie took me to work this morning, on her way to the gym, as last time I worked on a Saturday I couldn't get parked! 

I had a very pleasant shift with Sue, who I hadn't worked with for ages! The time flew by and we weren't busy so I was able to deal with the customer service emails and do lots of other admin jobs.

Sophie came back for me at 2pm and we sped home. Keith was going to see Sileby play and took Dad's car to give it a run. After half an hour of relaxing, Sophie and I decided to tackle the headboard... we were both excited but a little nervous, to be honest!

First of all, I removed the back material and took out all the staples with my new handy little tool. We then gave the headboard a thorough wash and dried it. After that, we put the new material flat onto our kitchen island and wrapped it around the headboard. We had more material than we needed so we measured out the borders and cut the material to fit.

We had a bit of a problem with inserting the staples into the new staple gun machine, but after a lot of perseverance, we did it! We then wrapped the material tightly over the headboard and stapled it into place. The tricky bits were the corners, but Sophie managed to do them perfectly so there was no sags or unsightly bulges. We were over the moon with how it worked out seeing as it was our first time doing anything like this!


Old headboard - ripped back and black faux leather!

We have enough material left to make some scatter cushions for the bed, so we were delighted!

When Keith came home he was amazed at what we'd done and very pleased! Now all I need to do is gloss the woodwork tomorrow and we can put everything back. It would be great to get a new carpet but that might have to wait until next year. In the meantime, I'll hire a carpet shampoo machine and we'll do a thorough clean!

In the evening Sophie and I played Scrabble and she beat me, as usual. We indulged in some crisps, olives and cubes of cheese...


Monty's new favourite place is curled up on one of the barstools - he just about manages to get up by himself, but we're trying to discourage this as he launches himself up by clawing at the fabric of the chair! I have visions of the barstools being ripped to shreds!


After a lovely dinner of Coq au Vin, we watched the film Dead Calm starring an extremely youthful Nicole Kidman, Sam Neill and gorgeous Billy Zane. A great end to a very fruitful day!

No comments: