Wednesday 4 November 2020

The Last Supper

So, today was our last at work for a month, and things started off quietly again. The announcement still hadn't been made but we were warned it would be put onto our website and media pages by lunch. As a thank you and, because it was our last day, Nicola gave us all a mini bottle of Prosecco, which should go well with the flavoured Gin I have at home!

At almost midday, we were told the announcement was to be made, and we were given details first. As we are a charity we were hoping people would keep paying for November, but as soon as the details went live, the phones started ringing! I could see the number of emails steadily increasing as I watched, going from 28 in the inbox to over 400 by the time I left at 2pm.

I'd volunteered to stay until 4pm but both Sara and Nicola said that it was OK for me to go. After the initial flurry of calls, things did quieten down a bit, which was a relief! I had visions of many calls queuing!

I left the building but I didn't feel as emotional as I did back in March. Then, we didn't know how long the lockdown would last, and it was all new and scary, but I am really hoping that things will improve and we can go back to our jobs on the 2 December. I have included my holiday hours in the next month's pay so at least I will get two weeks at 100%. 

Keith and I went over to B&M in Kettering because the blind in our en-suite had fallen down, and wouldn't work properly. We managed to find a lovely chequered blind with shades of grey and taupe that will go well with the colours in the shower-room. We then popped to Next where I bought two jumpers and some trousers for my Mum for her birthday next week.

Our last stop was Tesco where I bought cards and chocolates. I am seeing my parents this evening for the last time because all care home visits will be cancelled again. To me, this is ridiculous, as I never come into contact with them because of the plastic sheet between us. What difference would it make?

Keith and I headed home and I had half an hour before having to go back out again. I sat with Sophie in the conservatory, and read the paper until it was time for me to leave.

It was a beautiful late afternoon, and the sky was a mixture of pinks and blues. I am hoping the weather will stay dry and sunny for the weeks we are off, but that's perhaps being too optimistic for this time of year! We did say back in March that we were lucky the weather was so good, and how horrible it would be to go through this in the winter, and now we are!

Both my parents looked well again, and my Mum looked particularly smart. She said she needed some new shoes so I will order them for her. We chatted for almost an hour again, and then I left, feeling very sad that I won't see them for a while. I told my Mum to keep her phone charged up all the time so at least I could phone her.

Back home Keith and Mike were just about to walk down to the pub where we'd booked a table for a last dinner before lockdown. It was a cold night but perfect for walking to the pub! I changed and put on some make-up then sat and watched the news. At least the topic of coronavirus has been pushed off the top slot by the US elections, and the world is watching with interest to see what the outcome will be!

Sophie and I drove down to the pub, and found the men in the backroom, somewhere we hardly ever go. There was a lovely atmosphere in there, and Sophie and I ordered a bottle of red wine to last us the evening.

We were called through to the main dining area at about 7.45pm and took our seats near the bar. Silence ensued while we perused the menus, and we chose garlic bread to share for starters, followed by fish and chips for Keith, chicken for Sophie, beef and ale pie for Mike, and a sirloin steak with peppercorn sauce for me. We might as well go out in style!

The food was delicious, as ever, but they did forget my sauce so we had to chase that up. It was delicious poured over my steak and thick-cut chips! There was a real party atmosphere in the pub this evening, and at 10pm when we all had to leave it was really quite emotional. The pub will remain open for takeaway food so I'm hoping we'll have at least one meal from them before December. Anything to keep our precious pub open!

No comments: