Sunday 1 November 2020

The best meal ever!

Sophie decided to go to the gym this morning, to make the most of it before everywhere closes on Thursday. She will miss going very much but we have talked about having a walk at lunchtime, just to get some exercise and fresh air.

I gave her a lift and then went and put my filthy car through the car wash. The rain had cleared away and the sun came out so I decided to risk it! I also put £40 worth of diesel in the car, bought the Sunday papers and then went back to pick her up.

Back home Sophie helped me put a colour on my hair (I really was very badgery!), and while it was taking she went and did the preparations for dinner tonight. We had decided to cook The Hairy Bikers' Chicken Tikka Marsala and there were loads of things to do. I could smell her dry-frying a whole lot of delicious spices and filling the house with the lovely aroma.

As well as doing that she put some items on eBay, so let's hope we have better luck with them this week! We planned on going for a walk later, but the weather changed and it started to rain again so we decided to stay at home! I can hardly believe that today is the first day of November! Going into the winter in lockdown will not be pleasant for anybody.

Sophie and I went to get Mike from Abbie's house, and understandably she was upset as she now won't be able to see Mike for at least a month. We headed home, poured a glass of wine, and after relaxing for a little while Sophie and I made a start on dinner.

The chicken had been marinating all afternoon, and while Sophie made the marsala sauce I threaded the gooey meat onto wooden skewers that I'd soaked in water. The smells were delicious and we banished Keith from the kitchen as he was hanging around and subtly commenting on what we were doing as if we were clueless! Be gone!

We set the grill to the highest heat and thoroughly grilled the chicken, turning it over several times. The recipe called for us to blitz the marsala sauce in a processor, but we left it as it was with the chopped up onion intact. Once the chicken was cooked through we added it to the sauce, finished off the rice and popped the naan bread under the grill.

Well, I have to say it was the best dish Sophie had ever cooked, bless her! It was absolutely delicious and matched anything I've had in a restaurant. Mike had eaten at lunchtime and missed out, but there was plenty for the three of us with enough left over for Sophie's lunch tomorrow. The range of flavours in the dish was fabulous, and we could really taste all the spices and ingredients that Sophie had been preparing all afternoon. There was a lot of preparation, but it was so worth doing!

This weekend has passed in a blur and it's back to work tomorrow. What will I face, I wonder?!




No comments: