Thursday 19 November 2020

An upsetting discovery...

Day 15

My two front tyres were replaced today, so that was one less thing to worry about! While he was here, we asked the tyre fitter to have a look at Dad's car as well, but he assured us they were fine and would do about another 4000 miles. As I rarely take the car out, that was a relief as well!

Sophie was hosting an online training session today so we had to keep Monty out of the conservatory at all costs! He is fine first thing and then starts to be a wandering willie, constantly in and out of the house and demanding to be fed. We kept him in the living room, which he didn't appreciate, even though he had a comfortable chair all to himself!

Last weekend I'd sent off for a death certificate for my Great Grandmother, and it arrived today. I was under the impression that she had died of the Spanish flu in 1917, but when I read the death certificate, it stated "antepartum haemorrhage" as the cause. Why, then, had I believed it was the Spanish flu? It also meant she was pregnant with her 11th (?) child and my grandmother would have had another sibling. My grandmother (on my Dad's side) was just 14 months old when she died, and I found the discovery quite heartbreaking, to be honest. The poor woman must have really suffered and must have been exhausted having so many children and then falling pregnant with yet another. Plus, they certainly weren't well off, World War I was raging, and it must have been an enormously difficult time. It certainly made me think about how life was then.

Now that we were free to go out, Keith and I popped over to Aldi and Tesco as I had some shopping to do for my Mum. We dropped off the bag at the care home, and I couldn't believe the roads leading to the building -  they were coated in a thick layer of mud!

We headed home, had lunch of sourdough sandwiches, and then went to collect Mike from work. When we returned, Sophie's training session was over, and she was very relieved! I prepped our dinner of sausage casserole so all we had to do was cook the sausages and pop the dish into the oven. We then played Scrabble which always takes longer than we imagine!

After we'd eaten it was time for I'm a Celebrity and I have to say I'm really enjoying the show this time!

No comments: