Monday 9 November 2020

Mrs Angry!

Day 5

We awoke to another grey and gloomy day, and with the change in weather, came a change in mood. It's my Mum's birthday today, and for the first time ever I won't be able to see her or take her out. She is understandably upset, and even though I asked the care home to give her another test, they said she would have to stay in self-isolation for two weeks, and away from my Dad. Apparently, she is the only person, residents or staff, who tested positive, and doesn't have any symptoms! It's madness!

Therefore, I was in a right "fouly" when Keith and I went over to the post office at Brixworth to send a parcel off to Sophie's boyfriend. The row of shops in this large village is always busy, and traditionally when you wait for a car parking space, you pull forward so that another car can sit behind you and not clog up the surrounding roads. I turned into the small road leading to the shops but the car already waiting hadn't left enough room behind him for me to tuck in, so I was forced to sit in the road outside the car park, like an idiot! 

After a minute or so, another two cars joined the queue which now meant they were in danger of blocking the main road as well! I moved forward and tooted my horn to get the inconsiderate driver in front of me to move up a bit! He didn't move so I wound down my window and shouted at him to move up! I mean, it's hardly rocket science! He must have seen the queue behind me!

He eventually moved forward so that I could fit in, and then went and parked himself, but I was fuming about his lack of consideration for the others waiting to park. At the moment it feels like people are in their own little "bubble" with no thought for others! This was demonstrated when I was walking out of Tesco later, and a couple in front of me just stopped dead in the doorway to take off their masks! Get out of the way!

So, it was a bit of a fraught morning! I had to go shopping and get food for the next three nights and bumbled my way around Aldi again, not able to find anything I needed! No wonder Keith doesn't like going! At least we don't have the one-way system in place any more, though, which is some relief!

We got home at 1pm and had a quick lunch before I started on making my Mulligatawny soup. Keith went to get Mike from work, while I chopped up lots of vegetables and added beef stock to the carrots, onion, apple and swede mixture. I then let it simmer for about half an hour with curry powder, mango chutney and some mixed herbs, while I cleared away the almighty mess in the kitchen!

I had an appointment at the care home at 4pm, and the plan was to Facetime my Mum, so I could have a chat. My Dad appeared and we talked for a while but I found it extremely difficult to hear him through the thick plastic screen. I chatted with my Mum, which was great, and I saw the staff bring in a lovely chocolate cake for her and sing Happy Birthday!

I stayed for half an hour and felt upset that I was unable to chat with my Dad like the old times. When I think of how he used to be, I find it heartbreaking. He was always so active and enthusiastic about life, and it's brutally unfair to see him as he is now.

Back home I used my new stick blender to smooth the soup and then poured it into a jug to chill in the fridge. That's lunch tomorrow taken care of! It was then time to relax for a while before dinner, and Sophie and I started watching The Undoing starring a very beautiful Nicole Kidman, and Hugh Grant, who to me seemed a strange choice for this kind of drama. Normally, he's a rom-com type of man! We enjoyed the first episode and couldn't wait to see the second after dinner!


No comments: