Thursday 12 November 2020

Mrs Angry, Part 2

Day 8

Sophie and I set off for Tesco at 7am this morning and I was surprised at how busy the roads were! However, the car park at Tesco was quiet, and there were very few actual shoppers in the supermarket. It was mostly staff shopping for online customers, and there were hordes of them! As their trolleys are much bigger than the ones we use, they certainly blocked up the aisles!

We did half of our shopping in Tesco and then drove the short distance to Aldi. It's not a good idea to shop this way around as if there's anything we can't get in Aldi, we've had it! I wasn't going to go back into Tesco for beef stock that we couldn't find!

As Sophie doesn't go shopping in Aldi very much, she was amazed at the way the checkout woman hurled our purchases down the conveyor belt. It took both of us to keep up with her, and we just chucked it all back into the trolley! My morning routine had been severely disrupted, and I hadn't had time to enjoy a coffee before we left so I was determined to have one when we finished at Aldi! We went over to the drive-thru opposite, but because there was a long queue of cars we actually went inside! I ordered a Flat White and a blueberry muffin, Sophie had a mocha, and we headed home.

Keith met us and he unloaded the car while I sat and enjoyed my coffee and muffin in the conservatory. Sophie had to start work immediately as it was now 9am, and I said to Keith that I wouldn't be going early again. He then volunteered to resume the job and go early when it's very quiet. He is better at doing it than me - I find it a complete chore, and if I had my way I'd have it delivered! However, I doubt very much whether there are any slots available at the moment! Judging by the number of online trolleys in Tesco, I think everyone is ordering over the internet!

It's been a gorgeous day today, and Keith and I went to the care home to pick up the jumper and trousers I'd bought my Mum for her birthday. The jumper is too big, and she couldn't get the trousers on, so I did really well! They were waiting in reception for me, and we headed off to Next to take them back and get a refund. The care home is situated on a new residential estate that's still being built, so the roads around the care home were full of mud. My car looked like I'd driven it through a field so I planned on taking it through the carwash at the Tesco garage before going home.

At Next, I had to queue for a while, and when it was my turn and I explained I was returning clothes I'd bought in the shop, they said I'd have to wait until the 6th December when the shop re-opened to return them! I was flabbergasted! All they'd needed to do was take the bag back, and bring out a card machine to refund my payment, but this was obviously impossible with the pandemic raging all around us... Now it means I'll have wait for almost a month, and my poor Mum doesn't have her gifts! I was going to re-order online!

Muttering angrily, I drove to the Tesco garage, and while Keith put some diesel in, I went into the shop to ask about the carwash. One of the women on the till said that they weren't allowed to have it up and running, so that was that! I find it amazing that this morning I went into Tesco and Aldi and bought a coffee in Costa but I couldn't take my filthy car through a fully automated carwash! I was furious! Common sense seems to have gone out of the window!

Before going home Keith and I went to the chemist at Brixworth to get some eye drops for Keith's eye. It looks like he has a little stye in his left eye, and he had a pleasant chat to the pharmacist who gave him something to make it better.

Getting home was a relief but it was nearly lunchtime! I re-heated the spaghetti bolognese from the other evening and cooked some pasta we had hanging about in the cupboard. It makes a change from the sandwiches I normally have!

Keith and I spent the afternoon in the garden raking up the fallen leaves and tidying up the summer bedding plants. I moved the geraniums to a sheltered part of the garden in the hope they'll last the winter again. We ventured down to the gravel garden, and I was amazed at how much the ivy had grown. It's very bushy in places, and I suspect our little sparrows roost in it at night. We made the decision to cut down the Virginia creeper when the weather is dry again, as it has become overgrown and messy. In fact, this part of the garden is totally overgrown and we need to make a decision about what to do with it. We hardly ever go into this part, and I feel the space is wasted.

It was lovely to be out in the garden as the sun was going down but I think the birds were a bit miffed with us, as they sat in the trees on the other side of the fence waiting for us to finish, and leave them to have their supper in peace!





No comments: