Tuesday 11 August 2020

The wrong end of the stick!

I was back in at work at 8am this morning and we had another busy shift with phone calls and queries. The office felt a lot hotter today and I was glad to escape at 2pm and head home. The temperature in the car was registering 34c and it took ages for the aircon to cool the interior a bit!

Sophie had made me an appointment to see my parents this afternoon at 4pm. My Dad celebrates his 78th birthday today but it certainly won't be like years gone by when we all went out for a meal or they came around to our house.

Keith went to get Mike and luckily he was back before I needed to leave. I was held up on the drive in by a digger so I was a bit frazzled when I arrived! I was hoping that we'd be somewhere cool in the garden but instead I was taken up to the lounge near their rooms which was much better.

My parents walked in with the help of zimmer frames and my Mum didn't look right at all. I suspect she has another urine infection as she sounded a bit confused, but my Dad looked fine and we had a good conversation. He was very pleased with his gifts of clothes, magazines and a book but I felt a bit upset seeing them like that and I couldn't help thinking back to all the good times we'd had in the past.

I stayed until almost 5pm then sped home because we had two men coming around to look at the kitchen and give us a quote. They were a great pair but could they talk! At first I don't think they really understood what we wanted even though we said we wanted the wall knocked down between the kitchen and what was our old dining room. I wanted the two rooms to be the whole kitchen but they were talking about putting a breakfast bar where the wall is now, which kind of defeated the object. When I explained how we wanted it, I think the penny dropped!

They stayed until almost 7pm by which time I was well and truly drooping! Sophie left to go and meet Daisy and Laura and when the two men eventually departed I had a well-earned drink!

Neither Keith nor I fancied making dinner and my plans to make another dish out of the leftover vegetables went out of the window! We settled on quiche and oven chips which we just plonked in the oven! It was uncomfortably hot and humid and it seemed even warmer than previous days!

Sophie texted me to say she was at The Whyte Melville in Boughton where they'd gone for a meal, making the most of the "Eat out to help out" scheme! She came home just before 11pm and I went thankfully to bed after trying unsuccessfully to cool down a bit!

No comments: