Wednesday 12 August 2020

More bad news...

I wasn't in at work until 12pm today so I had the morning off. I got up with Sophie who went to the gym, and I enjoyed a cup of coffee while looking at kitchen designs on the internet. As much as we liked the men who came around last night, we were a bit worried that their ideas didn't match ours.

Unfortunately, before 9am I received a call from the care home to say that my mum had been taken into hospital as she had been very difficult to wake this morning. I was devastated, as they had no idea what was wrong with her and of course, this now means that when she comes out she'll have to endure another 14 days in isolation with my Dad. Can things really get any worse?

Sophie was working from her office today and had agreed to pick me up from work at 6pm, bless her. I spent the morning pootling about and was nearly late for work as I thought I could go and get ready at 11.30am when I had to leave at that time! Before I left I called the care home but they hadn't heard anything so I said I would call the hospital this evening.

Work was OK, but as the afternoon wore on the sky became very stormy. We were long overdue a good storm as the temperatures have become unbearable and last night was extremely uncomfortable trying to sleep. I think it was one of the hottest nights ever. These kind of hot and sultry nights now have a name - tropical nights - when the temperature doesn't dip below 20c.

Sophie met me in the car park and we drove home under a dark and cloudy sky. I called the hospital and found out that my mum had been transferred to a ward and that the doctors would see her in the morning. As Sophie was working from home tomorrow, I asked her to call the ward and try and find out what was happening.

Before we had dinner we sat and had a good chat in the conservatory about the kitchen. It's maybe one thing we can at least look forward to at the moment. We discussed the idea about having a large window installed in the old dining room, with a padded bench seat underneath and shelving on both sides.

It was another very hot and humid evening and we all sweated profusely while eating dinner. I made the most of the leftover veggies from the other night and I heated them in the oven before covering them with a light sprinkling of breadcrumbs and cheese.

I went out to water the garden after dinner in an effort to encourage some rain. It stayed dry, though, and Keith and I sat and watched the bats wheel about in the evening air. A small moment of calm in a busy day!

No comments: