Sunday 2 August 2020

Definitely a foodie day!

I realised this morning that three years ago today we flew to Florida for a three week holiday... how I wish sometimes we could turn back time!

Just as we were about to prepare breakfast, Mike called and asked us to pick him up from Abbie's house. We all drove over, collected him and then drove home to resume making our toast and coffee!

Today the weather has been lovely but there has been a fair amount of cloud about. We are due another heatwave later on next week but I really am hoping it won't get as hot as Friday! Sophie and I drove to Farndon Fields at midday and joined the queue of people waiting to get in. We had to wear masks, of course, but we spent a very pleasant half hour picking out some lovely foods, including strawberries, lemon biscuits and macarons.

We took our booty home and sat in the sunny conservatory to enjoy a late lunch. I had treated the boys to a bottle of lager each and Sophie and I enjoyed rhubarb cider over ice. Very refreshing!

The afternoon was spent relaxing and I made the mistake of watching Amazing Hotels: Life Beyond The Lobby - the hotel in question was in the Highlands and people were enjoying wonderful food and whiskies! I have made a note of the name as I would love to go there some time!

Sophie, Keith and I spent an hour preparing our "Blind Finches" for dinner. Keith hammered the steaks until they were very thin while I prepared the pork mince, shallot and mustard filling. We then cut the steaks in half, laid a slice of Prosciutto ham on top, put some filling in the middle and then made them into little parcels tied up with string.

We let them chill in the fridge for an hour while we relaxed. We'd decided to cook them slightly different to the recipe by browning them all over and then putting them in the oven with the beer gravy for an hour rather than cook them on the hob. I was worried they'd fall apart!



The meal turned out very well indeed! We fried some homemade chips and the food definitely had a Flemish air! We could have been in a restaurant in Bruges!

No comments: