Wednesday 31 January 2018

Helping out!

After taking Sophie to uni this morning we drove over to Mum and Dad's house as they had a cheque for Mike. They had been saving money for him, as they did with Sophie, and we're going to use the money to buy Premium Bonds for him. If I had my way I'd put the money into a pension for him and it's something I really regret not doing when the children were smaller. Rather than buying toys that they hardly played with, I wish I'd set up some sort of savings for them which they could access when they were much older, to either use as a deposit for a house or to go into a pension pot. I would still have bought toys for them at Christmas and Birthdays, but I would have spent far less as they never seemed to get the most out of what we bought anyway!

While we were having a coffee at Mum and Dad's they happened to mention their car insurance had been renewed and it was almost £500! I said I could get it cheaper for them...and I did! We went onto Compare The Market and I managed to get a quote for about £360 so they were very pleased! I urged them to look at other policies they had or think about switching their fuel providers as my parents tend to just keep on renewing every year with the same company, which isn't the best way of doing things. I know it can be a bit of a hassle but when you're saving money, it all helps!

We returned home where we had to wait ten minutes to get onto our own drive as next door's skip was being taken away, thank goodness. Our neighbours have had a new kitchen fitted and to be honest, it's been a real pain as the man fitting the cupboards has been sawing wood on the drive, meaning that both our cars have been covered in sawdust and it's all over the drive itself. We're just pleased it's all finished and things can return to normal!

I caught up with my usual jobs and then it was time to go and collect Sophie from uni. When she saw the Optician yesterday they kept her glasses as she has a slight change to her prescription and they're going to put an anti-glare coating on them to help with night driving.

In the evening we had a full moon but it was also a Super Moon. Sophie and I watched a programme all about it and also saw footage of the solar eclipse in the US last year, which brought back nice memories!


No comments: