Sunday 28 January 2018

A glimpse of Spring?

It was great to have a lazy morning and at lunchtime Sophie and I drove over to collect my Mum as we were going for lunch at Farndon Fields. The weather today has been beautiful with blue skies and sunshine and a hint of Spring...am I being a bit optimistic?

The restaurant was very busy with people waiting for a table and we were seated at one that could have accommodated six! I did think we were going to get other diners but we had the whole table to ourselves, despite some people looking at us as if it wasn't fair!

We enjoyed sandwiches and cups of tea and afterwards we wandered around the shop and looked at some Spring plants. I was tempted but I know only too well that February can be a cruel month! Sophie bought some cider for a young lad who was leaving work today and I bought a pot of cream to go with Mike's cake tonight.

We took Mum home (Sophie did all the driving today and did really well considering that some of the country roads were very muddy and narrow) and spent half an hour answering questions that Sophie had devised for her dissertation on socially responsible cosmetics companies. It was very interesting and I think my Mum was delighted to take part.

From Mum's we drove to Sophie's work where she delivered her gifts and then it was home to relax for a little while before we had to go and pick up Mike from work. Keith came with me and when we reached the car park he went to see if he was ready and I couldn't believe how dark the area was. The sunny skies had given way to thicker cloud in the early evening but it had still been lovely to see the sun!

Mum and Dad came around for dinner at about 7pm and handed Mike his presents and cards. I still can't believe he's 18! The Coq au Vin we'd prepared in the morning was delicious. I'd used almost a whole bottle of French wine in the preparation and it made the sauce really rich. Afterwards, we had Mike's birthday cake and a dollop of whipped cream and I lit some candles for him!


No comments: