Sunday 10 September 2017

A quiet weekend.

I implemented my plan to do some jobs on Saturday and after we'd taken Sophie to work I came home to paint the skirting boards in the conservatory. It wasn't very comfortable work as I was on my hands and knees and I should really have used a kneeling mat! It's a job I've been meaning to do for ages so it felt really good when I'd finished and the paintwork looked all lovely and clean. I'm glad I hadn't been tempted to paint the garage door as the lovely weather in the morning disappeared in the afternoon and we had thunder, lightening and heavy rain showers.

Keith went to see Sileby play in the afternoon and I tidied everything away and watched the end of a Jack Lemmon film called The Apartment. It was very good! When Keith came home I took Mike into town and we called to Brixworth first to get one of his mates. I dropped them both off at a car park in the middle of Northampton and prayed that they wouldn't get up to mischief. It was an 18th birthday party they were going to in a nearby bar, so I did have my concerns!

I picked up Sophie from work and we drove home under a very interesting sky, full of dark clouds and a rainbow. Hurricane Irma is due to affect the Florida Keys early tomorrow morning and then head up the mainland and I'm just praying that the west coast isn't affected too badly.

Sophie was working on Sunday and after we'd dropped her off we went to collect Mike from town. He looked very weary and said he hadn't slept all night. Wonderful when he had to go to work! We took him home and he heated up the paella we'd eaten last night.

It's been very windy here today and grey and chilly and I spent a lot of the morning watching updates on Irma and how she affected Florida. It seems incredible to think that just four weeks ago we were driving down to the Keys. I dread to think what would have happened if this had struck when we were there.

Mike was at work today but because of the weather he asked to be picked up early. Sophie, on the other hand, was busy - it's amazing how they both benefit from different types of weather!

No comments: