Monday 23 March 2015

Unexpected Outing Part 2!

Today I've felt that I've had little control over my life! Dad had asked me to take him and Mum home this evening as they were finally returning their little Mini. They never drive the car and all it does is sit on the driveway. This meant that Sophie and I were unable to get to the gym tonight but we said we'd make up for it on Wednesday this week.

The morning flew by and when I got back from the bank Dad had gone to return the Mini. He was going to call me when it was time to pick him up but we kept on waiting and after two hours I said to Mum I'd go down to the dealership and see what was happening. I was very surprised to see him five minutes into my journey, driving back to work...

After I'd turned around and followed him back I discovered the problem - somehow a squirrel had got into the engine and had chewed away at the casings of the electrics. The dealership wouldn't take it back without the problem being fixed and it wasn't going to be cheap...

Understandably Mum and Dad were a bit upset but they felt there was nothing they could do. They've had squirrels in the garden but I have a feeling that Dad might get his revenge on the furry nuisances!

As we were sitting having a cup of tea the phone rang and it was Keith saying that Mike had missed his bus and could I go and pick him up from school? There was no point in coming back to work so I shut everything down and went to collect him.

Back home Keith received a call from his drinking partner, Dave, who said he wasn't going out to play tonight, so we all decided to go out for a drink, back to The Spencer Arms in Chapel Brampton where we'd been the other week. Keith walked down to the pub first while we all got ready and we picked him up on the way.

The pub was very quiet but we opted to sit in the bar area again rather than the restaurant. Keith was going to be naughty and order Mike a half pint of cider (at 16 he could enjoy beer, cider or wine with a meal) but he was lucky he didn't as for the first time ever the barman asked to see the children's ID! We hadn't ordered Mike a drink and then we discovered that the barman had been at school with Sophie so he knew exactly how old she was!

The meal was a mixed success. I enjoyed my curry but Keith was very disappointed with his mixed grill and Sophie's pie came with cold, over-cooked chips and not the mashed potato she was expecting. Mike was happy with his burger but Keith did mention that he wasn't happy with his meal so the manager gave him a discount of 25% off the bill.

On the way home I treated the children to a tub of ice-cream and we watched an episode of Gator Boys. A lovely end to a fairly good evening!

No comments: