Thursday 5 March 2015

"Slasher " Keith strikes again...

As soon as Keith arrived back from taking Mikey to school we started loading the car with the old tumble dryer and other rubbish that we needed to take to the tip. Unfortunately, I didn't check the opening times on the website so we arrived at just after 9am to find the recycling centre still closed...

We turned around, went home and I made a cooked breakfast while Keith disappeared into the garden to do a bit more hacking. When we sat down in the conservatory to eat breakfast the garden was already looking better with all the branches heaped up in the middle of the lawn. Sophie was very pleased by what she saw as she's been saying for ages that our garden is too overgrown!

Our daughter cleared away and stacked the dishwasher while Keith and I returned to the tip. The tumble dryer went straight to the "Re-use" section, while the old cooker went into the small appliances skip. Only the polystyrene packaging went into the landfill skip, so that was good!

Back home I set about clearing out the garage and getting rid of all the rubbish that we've kept over the years. Why we keep such stuff, I'll never know! Very soon the boot of my car was full and I looked out into the garden to see how Keith was getting on...

Slasher Keith at work...



The question was, how were we going to get rid of it all? I'm not sure it would fit into our garden rubbish bin!

We went off to the tip again but this time we had much more rubbish that really couldn't be recycled, such as old paint-stained sheets, very tatty old clothes, an old umbrella, hanging baskets that looked disgusting and loads of plastic wrapping. I dread to think what we looked like when we arrived as I had dust all over my jeans and Keith was in his oldest, scruffiest clothes!

We made one more trip with two old bikes that we hadn't used for years and these went straight to the "re-use" section which was good. Maybe they'll live to see another day!

Keith was finished in the garden so we surveyed the branches and decided to look into getting a skip as we also have old garden furniture languishing behind the garage, which is another messy area. To have this all clear and tidy would be great.

I hoovered the back of my car out and then Keith went up the ladders to clean the guttering above the drive. We have a mini lawn growing in it so that came out and then he gave the plastic a really good scrub to get rid of a greeny-black mould that looked unsightly. I was really pleased when we were finally done!

After we'd finished (I kept looking at our clean and tidy garage with a sense of satisfaction!) we had hot baths to get rid of all the grime and then left at 3pm to collect Mikey from school. We're really proud parents as he's been chosen to play rugby for his army cadet company and needed boots, a mouth guard and shin pads. It meant we had to go to Sports Direct on Riverside, a journey that would normally take a mere ten minutes, but because of all the roadworks on the Round Spinney roundabout, took us twice as long because I diverted onto other roads at the height of the afternoon school run.

I'm not a fan of Sports Direct. We asked an assistant where the rugby boots were and then it took us ages to find someone else to go and get Mike's size. I hate the fact that all the merchandise is piled up to the rafters and there's no sense of space. The wait meant that the kids started bickering a bit and I was hopping about with impatience as I wanted to be home to get ready as Sue was due around for a glass of wine at 6pm.

We were finally seen to and a pair of rugby boots brought out for Mikey to try on. Once we were all sorted I treated the kids to a promised McFlurry ice-cream and then it was off to Tesco to buy dinner for the children for tomorrow night and some nibbles for this evening to have with the wine that Sue was bringing around.

We braved the heavy traffic on the way home and before Sue came around I called my Mum for a chat as I haven't spoken to her since Tuesday and I was eager for news of the sale...but there wasn't any!

Sue brought a lovely bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and we enjoyed hummus dips with breadsticks and yummy popchips. We had a good catch up and we're looking forward to going out with her and Paul next Friday to a pub in Northampton that stocks some real ales.

After dinner, Keith and I settled down to watch Fortitude and it really had a grisly ending...yuk!

No comments: