Thursday 12 March 2015

Scaring the children...

I was dreading today as we had two evening parties and I just knew we wouldn't get away from work until about 7pm, making it quite a long day!

Keith and I had to go to Booker this morning which wasn't an enjoyable experience. We had to use two trolleys as all the stuff kept falling off the first barrow and I was very worried we wouldn't be able to fit it all into my car. We bought as much as we could but I just know I'll be back down there tomorrow.

Keith went home in the afternoon and Sophie and I braced ourselves for the evening rush. The one very good thing about today was that we had a young girl in on work experience and she turned out to be very capable, something that's quite rare these days! She worked hard all day and even did the last party so that Sophie could clear up and cut up a Birthday cake.

We had about 17 children in all aged around 9 years and they were mad, throwing themselves off the inflatable and just generally causing mayhem. I longed to be at home in the peace and quiet! I kept an eye on them and manned Reception and I happened to look over to our football area which is inside a netted enclosure to see a very young boy at the top, obviously having climbed there. I rushed over and shouted at him which resulted in him slipping down a couple of feet. Half way down he jumped and I managed to catch him but I was absolutely livid and demanded to see his mum who was sitting in the restaurant area oblivious to what her offspring was up to. I was so angry that the little boy started crying and sat on his mum's lap for the next quarter of an hour but I explained to them both that there could have been a very nasty accident if he'd slipped and fell from that height.

I felt very shaky after my encounter as I just didn't want to imagine the repercussions if the worst had happened. A little while later I had to speak to him again as he was doing somersaults on the bouncy castle!

Eventually, after dropping many heavy hints that we were closing and wanted to go home, the parties left and we cleared up the remainder of the mess and went home. I gave Polly a lift and when we arrived home it was a very quick change and freshen up as we'd booked a table at Pizza Hut as a treat.

The restaurant was almost empty which was a shame, but we had a lovely meal with the men ordering meat feast pizzas and Sophie and I sharing a BBQ chicken deep pan. I had some lovely salad, the children shared garlic bread and on the way home we called into McDonald's for a McFlurry. It was bliss to eventually get home and sit and relax before bed!

No comments: