Tuesday 3 March 2015

A little bit of shopping...

Before I'd even finished my first coffee of the day, I'd bought a new tumble dryer from Curry's and Keith had chosen a new hedge trimmer from Screwfix. We arranged to collect both items from the stores so after taking Mikey to school it was back home to shower, wake Sophie up and then all leave to have a quick coffee at Costa on Riverside.

The coffee shop was full of business people having breakfast meetings and it was lovely to sit in the morning sunshine and sip a flat white with a raspberry and white chocolate muffin! Delicious!

We called into Boots briefly for Sophie to treat herself to some make-up and then it was off to Curry's to pick up our gleaming new tumble dryer. Our old one had been dismantled and was standing forlornly in the garage ready to be taken to the tip and I was mightily glad to see the back of it!

Within ten minutes the new appliance was in the back of my car and then I popped into Halford's to buy some door protectors as my doors sometimes get scraped when I park on the drive...I hate the sound of the paintwork scraping along the brickwork!

We just had one more port of call before going to Screwfix - a stop at Homebase to buy a big pot of white gloss paint and a new blind for the cloakroom as the one we currently have is stuck in a half-way position and is very annoying!

We drove to Screwfix where I amused myself by searching for uPVC paint which Keith and Sophie said didn't exist...I was sure I'd heard of it but they watched me flicking through the huge brochure nonetheless, making fun of me as I searched in vain!

Just as we were about to leave, the phone rang and it was my Mum saying she couldn't get my printer to work...I tried to talk her through the process over the phone, but in the end I gave up and said we'd call in on the way home.

Work was looking very busy when we arrived and we had to disappoint Polly when we told her we were just calling in for a moment. Within minutes I'd fixed the problem, much to Mum's relief, and finished off the wages for her. I didn't want to hang around as I just knew I'd get sucked into problems and niggles so we said a hasty goodbye and escaped back out into the sunshine!

Back home I cleaned the floor and wall in the space where the new dryer was to go and then Keith and I manhandled it into place. It looked so much better than the old one! I'd had a load of washing on the line as it was a breezy day but we finished the clothes off in the dryer to see how it performed...very well!

I carried on cleaning the very back of the garage and I'd never seen so many cobwebs and so much dust in one place! As the tip is closed until Thursday we didn't do too much as there was nowhere we could put the stuff we didn't need but we definitely need to go on Thursday and a clear out of the garage is long overdue!

While I was out in the garage Keith had fitted the new blind and it looked lovely at the window. At least we can have a bit of privacy now!

After lunch I hoovered downstairs and then at 3pm it was time for some relaxing. Sophie and I sat and watched two episodes of A Place in the Sun: Winter Sun, both of them featuring Florida. One couple were looking around Sarasota and we saw the beach near Anna Maria Island that we used to pass regularly. How I would love to be able to buy a house in Florida!

In the evening Mike decided he wasn't going to Army Cadets but Keith, Sophie and I had already decided to eat out. Mike was more than welcome to come out with us, even though he'd already eaten dinner, but he preferred to stay at home so we changed our plans and went to the Spencer Arms in Chapel Brampton. I hadn't been to the pub for years and years but it had undergone a refurbishment and we were pleasantly surprised at how lovely and welcoming it looked.

There were no tables free in the restaurant but we were quite happy to sit in the bar area, not far from a lovely log fire. The man behind the bar looked the twin of Ben Howard and when I went over to order our food I asked him if anyone had ever told him about the resemblance! He said no, but that people did say he looked like Edward Scissorhands!

We had a pleasant meal - Keith and I chose pate to start followed by gammon for him and Brewer's Chicken for me, while Sophie opted for garlic bread and a chicken burger. We did have to wait a fair while for our main courses to arrive and my meal wasn't piping hot, but I would definitely go again. Keith was happy with his beer, a pint of Tribute that was about 4%.

When we got home we found a much happier Mike (perhaps he just needed some time alone!) and I served some ice-cream I'd bought earlier in the day. It had been a busy day and it was bliss to snuggle up on the sofa and watch TV before bed!




No comments: