Saturday 14 June 2014

Just waitin' around...

Today has been a bit quiet and subdued as both kids have been out all day - Sophie to work (she was asked to swap days) and Mikey for an Army Cadet weekend. The weather looked grey and rainy when Keith and I woke up at the unearthly hour of 5.55am (why??) and it didn't really improve all day.

We'd planned to clean the conservatory roof but the showers of rain we had put a stop to that. To do the job properly we really need a sunny, breezy, dry day - and it certainly hasn't been that today!

Every time I ventured out into the garden to do some tidying up, it started raining so by 4pm I gave up and Keith and I sat by the phone waiting for the kids to call us to go and pick them up!

Predictably, they both wanted to be picked up at almost the same time so we collected Mikey first and then drove to work to get Sophie. I'd promised her a trip to Costa Coffee so off we went but it was a take-out this time!

We dashed home in the early evening sunshine so Mikey could get ready for a party he was going to. It meant we had barely an hour before I was out in the car again to take him to a friend's house in Northampton. Luckily the weather stayed dry and sunny for our barbecue but it was certainly chillier than it has been of late.

Sophie and I were allowed to watch two (yes, two!) episodes of Desperate Housewives before Mikey called us to go and collect him. At 10.15pm it was still light which was wonderful. When you think of the extra hours of sunlight we have in the summer, it's amazing that we get by on just eight hours in the winter.

Back home I suddenly remembered I hadn't wrapped Keith's presents (despite him not being my Dad) so it was a mad dash to do that before bed. At least I wasn't disturbed when I was wrapping them as England were playing Italy in the World Cup!

No comments: