Sunday 15 June 2014

Celebrating Dads!

Mikey was off to Army Cadets again today so we decided to leave celebrating Father's Day until he returned in the late afternoon. Keith took him into Northampton while I cooked breakfast of tomatoes and bacon, my husband's favourite!

We managed to squeeze in a walk over the fields this morning before Sophie and I went off to the gym for a swim and lunch. Today has been overcast and dry, one of those horrible days when the weather isn't unpleasant, but it's boring and dull. We popped to Boots on Riverside after lunch and I treated Sophie and myself to a 99 flake as a Sunday treat.

Almost as soon as I walked in the door from the gym, Mikey called and wanted to be picked up. He was in a good mood when we arrived and had passed his First Aid tests well, which he was pleased about.

As he was now home and the fish had been fed, I could relax and have a glass of Leffe, one of my favourite beers. Keith opened his cards and presents and was delighted with the shorts and shirt we'd chosen for him. I think he was one happy Dad!

I'd prepared tonight's dinner yesterday morning when I'd marinated a large fillet of pork in smoked paprika, garlic and thyme and it had been sitting in the oven since 12pm today on a very low heat setting. An hour before we were due to eat I'd taken it out of the oven to rest and couldn't resist nibbling a bit of the crispy meat - it was delicious! I'd taken the recipe from Gordon Ramsay's latest cookbook and the pulled pork was going to be served with a Chipotle mayonnaise and crushed new potatoes mixed with cheese and spring onions. I'd never cooked the recipe before and I was hoping it was going to be OK, as Sophie in particular was looking forward to it!

Luckily, it was gorgeous. The meat had been cooked very slowly so it just fell apart and with the crusty baguettes, mayonnaise and potatoes it was a lovely Sunday dinner. Keith couldn't resist sitting afterwards and pulling off the lovely hunks of juicy meat!

I spent the evening watching a film on Netflix as Keith wanted to watch the football. Thank goodness for Netflix!

No comments: