Sunday 2 December 2012

Not enough hours in the day!

There was so much I wanted (and needed) to do today but definitely not enough time to do it all! Sunday morning dawned beautiful and sunny but I had a late lie-in so I felt like I'd wasted half the day! After a quick breakfast, Keith and I put up our new icicle lights outside which look great. I just hope we don't get any strong winds before Christmas though, otherwise the whole lot will come falling down!

We chatted to Tim and Gill who live next door and received a bit of a shock when they said that they'd put their house on the market. Not a time I would choose to do it with Christmas so close, I must admit, but I'll be very sad to see them go as they've been great neighbours. It's certainly a drastic step to avoid hosting the next Wine Evening!

After we spoke to Tim and Gill we had another chat with Paul and Sue and then it was down to the business of finishing off the lights and then putting up our two trees indoors. I enlisted Sophie's help with the conservatory tree while Mikey and I decorated the green tree in our front window. I had to separate the children because of the arguments, unfortunately...not the ideal background to the tradition of dressing the trees!

I cleaned the house downstairs and within a few hours we were looking very festive indeed! It's certainly early for us to be decorated so soon in December!

I would have loved to have gone for a walk today but we went off to the gym instead for a swim - it would have been great to have done both but we just ran out of time. Liam got into the pool just after us and apologised for not making it to the last Wine Evening. Naturally, I forgave him for abandoning us and we chatted about the prospect of new neighbours, deciding to vet them when they view the house and if they're not up to scratch, sabotage the sale by being very anti-social...maybe Keith and I could have screaming argument and throw things at each other...! I definitely don't think this idea will go down well with poor Gill and Tim!

Sophie and I swam for about 45 minutes, then it was into the spa and a spell in the steam room before getting dressed and heading home in the rapidly chilling night. It was at freezing point when we arrived home and I mentioned to Keith to be careful in the morning because of all the water still on the roads around us.

I had a blissful couple of hours watching "It's A Wonderful Life" and crying my eyes out, as usual. I've lost count of how many times I've seen this film but it never fails to make the tears run down my face. This is the line that has me weeping:

"You see George, you've really had a wonderful life. Don't you see what a mistake it would be to throw it away?"

Just wonderful!

No comments: