Wednesday 12 December 2012

Four stuffed pears...and a mix-up with coats!

Today the landscape has looked beautiful. It's been one of those rare days when the trees and bushes were coated in white frost making the fields and hedgerows look magical. I just wish I'd had the time to take photographs.

After a busy day and a visit to the gym I went out with three friends to the Four Pears pub/restaurant in Little Houghton. Keith very kindly drove Lynda and me but once in the village it was clear that there was a lot going on as masses of cars lined the narrow streets. People were pouring out of the church so there must have been some sort of carol service going on and apparently it took Keith 15 minutes to get out of the village and onto the main road.

Andrea and Fiona were already well into their Gin and tonics in the lounge so after ordering more drinks at the bar we settled into the comfortable chairs to peruse the menus. The pub was not as busy as the last time we visited but there was still a nice atmosphere and the waiting staff were very attentive. I chose a spicy prawn broth to start, followed by pork belly with stuffing, creamed cabbage and mashed spuds as a main course. I was rather glad I went to the gym beforehand!

The food was delicious (the pork was sublime) but we managed to find room for cheese and biscuits, which on reflection, could have been shared between us as the portions were so big! There were four different cheeses, walnuts, grapes, celery and two different chutneys and by the end of the meal I felt well and truly stuffed, especially as I was wearing the jeans that are two sizes smaller than I normally wear!

We waddled back out into the lounge bar in search of our coats, only I couldn't find mine...I asked the waiter if he'd taken any coats somewhere else but he said no. There was one coat on the rack very similar in colour and style to my own coat so I had a good look at it to discover it was a Jaeger coat, three sizes smaller than mine! As there were still some women in the restaurant area I went back in to ask if the coat belonged to them, but no, it was unclaimed.

The waiter very kindly phoned a party that had been in and who he'd noticed trying on different coats but when he spoke to them they said they'd sorted out the problem and the woman had her own coat with her. I had no choice but to put the coat on as it was freezing outside and give my name and number to the waiter in the hope that the mistake could be put right!

I must admit, the coat is lovely and is about four times the price of my own that I bought in the Edinburgh Woollen Mill back on New Year's Day! However, I loved it, it was comfortable and my black gloves were in the pocket along with assorted tissues! The woman must realise that it's not her very expensive designer coat, surely!!

Evening tipple: A glass of Chenin Blanc followed by Chilean Pinot Noir!

No comments: