Thursday 13 December 2012

Celebrating 93 years!

It was my Nan's 93rd Birthday today but it was also Sophie's 6th form Parents' Evening as well so I had to do a bit of juggling to make sure I could attend both!

I drove down to Kent on my own which I have to say was an enjoyable experience! I listened to Ken Bruce on Radio 2 and sang along to the songs and made very good time! Mum and Dad left 20 minutes before me but I caught them up on the slip road from the M25 at Dartford, which I thought was pretty amazing!

Nan was surrounded by cards and presents when we arrived and was having a lovely time. We had arranged for someone to come and test her hearing with a view to getting a hearing aid, which she wasn't too happy about, but it's a real pain to have to shout at her all the time and it must be horrible for her not to be able to hear what anyone is saying.

Rather than go out for lunch my Dad and my uncle went off to get a KFC take-away (awful) and then we had a cake, sang Happy Birthday and sat and chatted. By 3.30pm it was time for me to say goodbye and drive home so that I could pick Sophie up from work and then go to the school with her. Her three teachers were all very happy with her progress and said that she should do well in her forthcoming exams in January. I didn't know that the exams next month were the real deal and Sophie explained that they learn a certain amount and then have an exam! When I did A-levels we did two years of study and then sat an exam! How easy they seem to have it these days! No wonder so many people go to University!

When we finally got home after a fairly long day I sat with Keith in the conservatory and had a chat over a very good glass of South African wine. I said that I'm not going to the gym tomorrow because we've had something on every single night this week. Time to get home from work and just relax, I think!

Evening tipple : South African Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz

No comments: