Saturday 26 November 2011

Friday 25 November

Today was due to be a very busy day. Mum and Dad gave me a lift into work this morning as I was off to collect the new car in the afternoon and Keith was coming into work to pick me up. I regretted saying I would pick the car up at 3pm as I had friends coming around for a meal in the evening and I knew that time would be very tight.

So, most of the day was normal, with all the excitement and frantic preparation squeezed into the latter part of the afternoon and evening! Sophie texted me and pleaded with me to pick her up from school, adding even more to the complications!

We picked both children up from school and then drove over to the other side of Northampton to the Audi garage. I looked all around for the car but couldn't see it, although I did see a car hidden by covers sitting in the middle of the showroom...

We went through all the paperwork again, Craig went to look at Keith's car to make sure it was the same one as we'd brought previously (!) and then he said that my car was the one hidden under the covers! With the children, he pulled the cover off and I was absolutely amazed at how beautiful the car looked, all shiny and new! The foglights looked wonderful and you would never know that they'd been added afterwards so that was a big relief for me. I was presented with a beautiful picture of the car and I can honestly say that the whole service I had from Audi was outstanding.

We had a good look at the car, inside and out and then Craig and I went to get some more diesel from a garage nearby. When we got back it was all mine to drive and I have to admit I was terrified. The bodywork is so shiny and immaculate and I was scared that something would happen to ruin it. Luckily, we made it home in one piece and then the frantic preparations started!

Keith and I both prepared the main course as my friends were each bringing a course. I'd decided to cook coq au vin and I wanted it really tasty and rustic, with lots of bacon, mushrooms and shallots. I prepared the vegetables, Keith browned the chicken and then I took him to the pub before rushing back and hoovering the downstairs of the house. My gorgeous daughter had tidied up for me so by 6.30pm I was all ready to go and have a shower and relax for a few minutes!

My friend Lynda arrived first with the desserts, a huge Pavlova and a homemade jelly that she was going to decorate with edible glitter. Fiona and Andrea arrived next, laden down with bags of food! Fiona was providing the starter - two different pates - while Andrea was doing cheese and biscuits.

After a glass of white wine we ate the delicious pate (all homemade) and then I put the finishing touches to the main course which was just how I wanted it to be, deliciously thick and meaty. Keith and the children managed to sample some as well and pronounced everything delicious!

Lynda's jelly looked fabulous decorated with the red glitter and pomegranate seeds and then we made it to cheese and biscuits at about midnight, long after my family had disappeared to bed. It was 1am by the time I was able to sit down and relax for ten minutes after doing all the washing up and clearing away. We'd drunk three bottles of Redwood Creek Merlot, most of a bottle of Pinot Grigio and a bottle of Prosecco so I had a feeling I'd sleep well, and I did!

No comments: