Tuesday 15 November 2011

The day started off well...

...but sadly, went downhill!

I was delighted to find out this morning that we had a large amount of Business Nectar points, enough in fact, to buy ourselves a new fax machine! Our fax machine is very old and very unreliable and we only use it once or twice a week but to get something for free was great! We also had enough to buy a case of wine from Laithwaites! Yippeee!

At lunchtime the three of us decided to go out for a sandwich as we needed to buy some new bats and balls for the table tennis game. Everything was fine until we got into Tesco and I noticed a very strange grey-haired man lurking about, mumbling away to himself with wild staring eyes. He was directly in front of my dad who made eye contact with him and I honestly thought he was going to go up to my dad and attack him. 

I told Dad to keep away from him so he went off to get the bats and balls while mum and I bought some corner cushions for the table tennis as I had visions of tots impaling themselves on the edges. Mum and I kept a lookout for mumbling man and I did say that I thought it would be a good idea to mention him to a security guard in case he went on the rampage (I have a vivid imagination). We kept seeing him everywhere we went and at one point we hared off down one of the aisles rather than meet him. He wasn't buying anything just muttering away to himself!

We met up with dad and then my parents spent ages choosing a bag of potato wedges to go with their evening meal while I kept watch. All this tension made me feel horrible so when mum's mobile phone rang and it was work I immediately imagined the worst.

We tried to call Polly back but no-one answered. We called the kitchen phone and no-one answered that either so with my heightened sense of doom, I imagined there'd been an accident (tot impaled on table tennis table). When we eventually got through we learnt that poor Polly had fainted twice and had hit her head on a table. Our cook had called an ambulance so we rushed back to work to find her lying on the floor looking very wobbly and pale.

The ambulance arrived a good half hour after they'd been called and I later learnt that Polly was put in a queue when she arrived at the hospital as there were another five or six people who'd also been brought in!

This all meant that we were in for the long haul and I asked Sophie to cover Reception while another girl was brought in to look after our evening party. It was another late night as we were there to do the locking up and it made me realise how much we miss Polly when she's ill!

I spoke to Polly tonight and she's better but her head is painful where she hit it on the table, poor thing. I immediately told her to rest tomorrow and do absolutely nothing all day, which I hope she does!

No comments: