Saturday 1 June 2024

Out for lunch

Today has been disappointingly grey and overcast; I'm sure the forecast was originally for sunshine and warm temperatures!

We all had a relaxed start to the day with Wordle Off over coffee as usual! At 11am, Sophie and I drove to Weedon to visit the Antiques Emporium. First of all, we popped upstairs and had a coffee and a shortbread biscuit at a delightful second-hand bookstore. Sophie is now into books (hooray!) and is devouring Douglas Kennedy novels, just like me! I love to see her curled up on the armchair in the living room absorbed in a good book!

We wandered around the books, and I looked for an old collection of children's stories I used to have as a child (A Treasury of Children's Stories by Hilda Boswell), but I had no luck. I've loved reading all my life, and my favourite authors were C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and, of course, Enid Blyton when I was growing up. 

We looked around the Antique Emporium as I was set on finding an antique cocktail trolley and drinks-related objects, but nothing was suitable. Next door, I found a lovely metal plaque stating "Wine Diva... Life's too short to drink cheap wine," which sums us up totally!

Sophie bought gifts for her friends, Laura and Daisy, and we made our way to The Heart of the Shires Shopping Village and did a little more browsing. We'd booked a table at The 1861 restaurant for lunch at 1.30pm and took our seats in the airy dining room. We waited a far while to have our order taken and Sophie looked annoyed that it had taken so long. The restaurant is under new management and we miss the old Darlington's!

Sophie chose a Coronation chicken wrap while I opted for the quiche. Both our meals were served with salad and crisps. We indulged in a glass of wine to accompany our food, which could have done with a bit more chilling. I'm not a fan of warmish white wine!

Sophie was happy with her choice, but my Quiche Lorraine lacked flavour and the filling was a bit watery, with the ham languishing at the bottom. I was disappointed, I have to admit. We decided to skip cake and made our way to Abraxas where I treated myself to a rotary grater, another bar of soap and some fondant baking pots. 

Before going home, Sophie popped into Boots new Sixfields, and the whole area was busy with people shopping. It was still better than Riverside, though! We sped home and relaxed on the sofa, enjoying nibbles with wine later in the evening. A lovely end to a great day!


No comments: