Wednesday 16 August 2023

Hold-ups!

Sophie was working from home again today and arrived back at 8am, just as we were getting up! Keith and I pootled about in the morning, and we had the Women's World Cup on in the background. England scored first and when I went upstairs to get a shower, I put the game on and Australia scored! For this reason, I'm not going to watch the final on Sunday when England play Spain! It was fabulous that they won and beat Australia!

Keith wanted to drive over to Rushden this afternoon to prepare for a match he's going to on Saturday. Sileby haven't yet played a home game so he wanted to see them play away. I had to pick up a delivery from Brixworth Library so we headed there first. The road out of the village was supposed to be closed today but, although it was open, there were huge machines parked up outside the village. I just knew, that later on when I went to collect Mum, it would be closed!

We parked near the library and I followed a Mum in with three children. All I had to do was pick up a parcel, but the Mum in front of me wanted to sign her daughter up for the Summer Reading Challenge. This, of course, involved lots of questions and took forever... I stood and waited patiently at first, but when the woman then said she wanted to sign her two sons up as well, I became a little annoyed. The member of staff could see I was waiting and had probably guessed that I was there just to pick up a parcel, so why didn't she deal with me while the children were looking at the books?

In the end, as the woman droned on and on, I had to ask if there was anyone else to help as I had very little time (we were picking Mum up after our visit to Rushden) and she came over. She dealt with me in less than a minute!

We followed Trish's directions to Rushden, found the ground and scouted out what the parking was like. Once this was done, we drove back to Kettering and I went to collect Mum. On the way to their room, one of the carers said that the brake on Dad's wheelchair was faulty. He's had it for three years so I said I'd buy him a new one to replace it. Just another thing to add to the list!

We took Mum home and made a cup of tea to go with a cake I'd bought at a Co-op earlier. Sophie was in a meeting so we sat in the living room with Keith and chatted but Mum seemed very down today and it was hard work, to be honest. I tried to put a video of our wedding on, but the DVD player refused to read the disc so we had to give up! Not the most successful of afternoons!

As we left to take Mum back, there was a sign saying the road into the village was closed so we were forced to drive to Walgrave and take the narrow single-track road to get to the A43. We dropped Mum off and returned home, and I felt pretty miserable about how the afternoon had turned out. It seems that whatever I do is never enjoyable for my parents and I just end up feeling guilty.

Sophie finished work and at 6pm, we cracked open the bottle of Champagne that had been chilling in the fridge and played Scrabble. Sophie ordered a Chinese takeaway and we had a much better evening than yesterday!

No comments: