Thursday 3 August 2023

Creepy crawlies!

My shift passed very quickly today as I had so much to do. I had some difficult emails to write, telling people things they probably didn't want to hear after requests they'd made. We get the odd email saying that they thought a membership had been cancelled but it was still live, and generally, they want a refund. Sometimes, this can have been going on for years, so we have to investigate and see who was at fault. What I can't understand is why people don't notice? Don't they check their bank statements?

At 2pm, I sped home and took advantage of Sophie's absence by re-using several old, spent candles, and making them into a new one. Sophie gets annoyed when I refuse to throw out our old glass candles, so I've resorted to hiding them from her! I had a stash in the living room behind a little ornamental chest of drawers, so Keith and I put the glasses into a pan of gently simmering water to melt the remaining wax, I then removed the wicks and we put the molten liquid into a pot to heat up a bit more. After cleaning out the glasses, I just had enough wax to make one candle! The old glasses were now lovely and clean, and we can either use them for new candles using some wax pellets I already have, or we can use them as holders for tea lights (or even drink out of them!). They would also be perfect for chocolate mousses!

Sophie arrived home and had a good chuckle when she saw what we'd done, but I was proud of our recycling afternoon! Once the wax hardens, we'll light it!

After dinner, we watched The Sixth Commandment again, and Sophie discovered that Ben Field (the murderer) is in Woodhill prison, where she is going tomorrow! 

Before bed, we had to catch and release two spiders - a huge one had been lurking in the cloakroom for a couple of days but had ventured into the hallway. I asked Sophie to deal with it and she just about managed to get a pint glass over it, it was so big! The other was directly above my head in the bedroom but was a bit smaller, thank goodness. Both are now enjoying the cooler temperatures... outside!

No comments: