Tuesday 29 November 2022

Royal connections

Yesterday, in the newspaper, I saw an article about Camilla's new "Queen's companions" and one name rang a bell. I met Sarah Troughton's brother, Matthew, in Nepal when I was 19 and had a sort of a holiday fling with him... 

He didn't tell me at first who he was; he saved that for when we were at the highest point of the trek and he said his family were in Debrett's, the guide to British Aristocracy. I didn't believe him, and it was only when I returned home and checked, that I found out it was true. Although we got on well in Nepal (apart from the odd tiff) and stayed together to go white-water rafting after the trek, I realise now that the gulf between our backgrounds was way too wide, and a long-term relationship (not that it was on the cards) would never have worked. I have no idea what he's doing now, but his sister has done very well for herself!

But that's not the only connection to Royalty - when we ran our soft play business, Earl Spencer (brother of Diana) would regularly visit with his children, which was always lovely. I have memories of him sitting quietly reading the newspaper while children screamed and ran about all around him!

Anyway, back to the present! Today has been quiet and uneventful and we have had thick fog all day, making driving conditions horrible. Sophie finished at 4pm, and it was great to look forward to a day off tomorrow, and a trip to London. We had an impromptu wine night and a delicious dinner of breaded pork escalopes which were lovely and crispy - I think we managed to get it right for once!

No comments: