Wednesday 2 November 2022

A depressing afternoon!

Sophie wasn't well at all today so she phoned in sick, something she hadn't done for ages! Keith and I took my car to the garage and had an awful journey to Moulton in the school-run traffic. Thank goodness we don't have to do that on a regular basis anymore!

Back home Keith made me breakfast of poached eggs on toast, and I spent the morning doing housework and catching up with jobs. Again, I managed to get a load of washing out on the line which was a bonus as it was dry and breezy. And it all dried! The weather forecast is for colder temperatures later in the week, but so far we haven't had to put the heating on, and our gas bill for October was about £30. If only it could stay that way!

Predictably, the garage rang just as I was going to collect my Mum and said the car was ready. I didn't want to drag Sophie and Keith out so we said we'd pick up the car in the morning.

I collected Mum and we drove to Kettering, as I'd booked her a hearing test at Specsavers. I parked in the large car park in the centre of the town and we battled the strong wind to walk the short distance to the Newlands Shopping Centre, the most soulless place I've ever had the misfortune to visit. In fact, the whole of Kettering town centre was depressing, with many shops up for let or just closed down all together. It reminded me strongly of Dartford when we used to go and visit my Nan.

Specsavers was right at the far end of the shopping centre and I'm glad my Mum had brought her little walker with her as it gave her a lot of support. We sat and waited in the busy shop, and were then called into a small room for the test. As soon as the man doing the test looked into Mum's ears he said that they were full of wax and he couldn't do any tests until they were clear. That might explain why she's having difficulty hearing us! He recommended oil drops so we popped into a nearby Boots and bought some. Hopefully, that might solve the problem!

We felt we deserved a cup of tea so we went to a little cafĂ© in the middle of the shopping centre and enjoyed a hot drink and a slice of Victoria sponge. I hadn't had any lunch so I was a bit peckish so it was delicious but it wasn't cheap... almost £15 for two teas and two slices of cake! I really hope I don't have to come back here for a while!

Before I left Mum I went up to the room and put some drops in her ears. She will have to do it every day until they're clear and I hope it works! I sped off home, driving via Loddington so I could check the time of the fireworks on Friday. Sadly, our own village isn't having a display this year so this is the next best thing.

At home, I sat with Sophie in the kitchen and we had a cup of tea and a natter. She said she felt better and was going to go to the gym in the morning for a swim before work. She was also going to sit in the steam room and see if that helped!

Dinner tonight was the stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in ham and they were delicious. Sophie cooked so she must have felt a lot better!

No comments: