Wednesday 9 November 2022

Birthday celebrations.

I spent the morning catching up with jobs and went over to collect Mum and Dad to take them out for lunch at midday. Before we went, Mum opened her cards and presents and tried on some shoes I'd ordered for her. Two pairs were a great fit but one, a slightly higher-heeled pair, were a little small so they'll go back. I remember my Mum was always a fan of strappy, high-heeled shoes, but now she prefers flats!

We went downstairs and I was delighted to find that the Moonpig gifts had arrived. What brilliant timing! We left them in reception to collect later and I managed to get my Dad into the car without too much difficulty. I was in my car today because I needed the bigger boot, but the seats are a lot lower and Keith is right when he moans he can't get in easily. My Dad's VW is much better and has far more room. Another reason for wanting to keep this car when mine finally conks out!

I'd booked a table for 1pm at Glebe Farm and when we arrived the place was bustling so I was glad I'd called ahead. We sat in the cosy restaurant which has stunning views over the countryside. Dad was a bit miffed they had no curries available and eventually settled on a Philly steak ciabatta. To his amazement, a couple of his old buddies from the flying club were also eating and they came over to say hello. My Dad, ever gracious, moaned that nobody had bothered to visit him, which was embarrassing! They said they didn't know where he was living, which I think was a bit of a porky pie as I'm certain I'd let the club know where Mum and Dad were...

I took down the mobile phone number of one of them and promised to text the address to him. It's a shame that Dad never sees these old friends anymore, as the flying club was a great place for him to go and meet up with his mates. 

We enjoyed lunch - Mum and I both chose the quiche served with new potatoes and salad - and Dad and I even had a glass of wine with our meal. For dessert, we chose to go to McDonald's for a McFlurry which went down very well with my Mum who'd wanted a gooey pudding!



Birthday girl! 78 today!

Back at the care home Mum opened her Moonpig card and was delighted with the chocolates and wine. I think she'd had a good day, and I heard later that she received a chocolate cake and a card from the staff.

I drove home looking forward to sitting and reading the newspaper when I noticed my Mum's phone on the seat next to me. I said a few choice swear words as I knew she needed it in case someone called her to wish her happy birthday. I had no choice but to drive all the way back with it, but I took my Dad's car and Keith came with me to keep me company!

On the way back we were treated to a stunning sunset sky and it looked like the clouds were on fire. The only problem was how low the sun was, and at one point I was driving blind as it started to rain at the same time! If someone had been jogging, cycling or walking on my side of the road I would never have seen them!

As I had eaten lunch I didn't want dinner which was supposed to have been fish pie. Sophie and Keith weren't keen either so it was shelved for another evening! I had some cheese and biscuits later in the evening while Keith and Sophie made themselves sandwiches. Not really what we'd planned, but the fish pie can wait!


No comments: