Thursday 24 November 2022

A tale of two shops.

Last night we finally made a decision about what food we're serving on Saturday to the cat slaves. We had made plans to put on a buffet as Michelle is vegetarian, but that always works out way more expensive and I never know whether we have enough (and it usually works out that we have too much). I wanted a warming casserole and we decided to cook the Hairy Bikers' sausage casserole, with mashed potatoes and vegetables, followed by one of my favourite desserts, Delia Smith's chocolate bread and butter pudding.

Keith agreed to go and do our normal shop this morning, and then he would return with me this afternoon when I'd finished work. Mum had given me a list of things she wanted as well, so I had a lot to get!

Work was busy as I had two days' worth of cash-ups to do, and all the customer service emails. Sara was just as busy as me, inputting the new prices which will take effect from the 1st of December. 

At 2pm I drove home, and Keith and I immediately went out again to Aldi first, and then Tesco where we bought all the ingredients for the meal on Saturday. I also filled a basket with the things that Mum needed and decided, madly, to do the scan and shop rather than go through the checkouts, even though I had several items that had security tags on them. I still beat Keith, though!

We returned home with all the bags and put everything away, impeded by Monty who insisted he was more important than the shopping and wanted feeding NOW! I turfed him out until we'd finished!

Keith cooked dinner tonight while Sophie and I indulged in an episode of Holiday Homes in the Sun and when we went in to help him finish the meal, the kitchen was full of smoke from where he was cooking burgers in a pan. We decided, there and then, to only do steak and burgers in the summer when we can barbecue them and keep the smells outside!




No comments: