Thursday 25 August 2022

Return of the son!

Mike had texted me earlier in the week to ask if he and Abbie could have dinner with us this evening so Keith and I decided to cook one of our favourite meals, the chicken and ham tangle pie.

I drove to work in the rain this morning and it was lovely to see the withered grass springing back to life after the horrible drought we'd had. It was my colleague Sue's 60th birthday yesterday so Sara and Sheila decorated her desk and she was delighted with the presents we'd bought for her!

I spent my shift answering customer service emails and at 2pm I sped home to tidy the house. Keith had made a corned beef pie, spread meat, pastry and flour over a wide area, and then trodden dirt and leaves into the kitchen, after going out to the garage... I was not amused!

I prepared dinner and set the table, giving the conservatory a clean as it was dead fly city in there. Until now it's been too blooming hot to do anything strenuous in there, but it's now a lot cooler thank goodness!

Abbie and Mike arrived at about 6.30pm and we all stood in the kitchen having a natter and a drink. We sat in the conservatory for dinner, the first time we've done that for ages and I was so glad it was cooler!

After we'd eaten we were delighted to see two hedgehogs come into the garden - a very big one, and a much smaller one. They obviously manage to find a lot of food, probably because I leave out piles of logs full of creepy crawlies, but I put out a dish of cat food just in case! We were all so happy to see them and the sight of them confirmed our suspicions that they go into the garden!


No comments: