Wednesday 10 August 2022

Proper shopping!

My Mum had called yesterday about my Dad's birthday on Thursday and I said I would buy something from her, as she still felt a bit worried about walking. 

Keith and I went to the garage in Moulton first, to book my car in for its forthcoming MOT. Keith asked also if they could check out my Dad's car before we take it to Spain next month, more for his peace of mind than anything else. It's been serviced, MOT'd, and has four almost new tyres, but it was a good idea anyway. He also said that if everything was OK with my car, and it passed, we would leave it with the garage in September so they could replace the flywheel. If it doesn't pass, and there's a big problem, we may have to say goodbye to it. I do hope it doesn't come to that!

From Moulton, I went to get diesel at the Tesco garage in Weston Favell, but just as we arrived they experienced a power cut and all the pumps went! We waited about five minutes but left to go to another near town as I really needed to get some fuel!

At Rushden Lakes, we had breakfast in M&S, and we arrived just in time as the queue started to grow behind us. It was lovely sitting in the big window and watching the comings and goings of people arriving at the huge shopping mall.

After we'd eaten I picked out some lovely soft jogging bottoms and polo shirts for my Dad, as Mum wanted, and a tee-shirt that would go with both joggers from us. I also bought some wine for him downstairs in the food hall.

All in all the experience had been better than I'd expected as I'd imagined the place would be rammed with people and very busy. We drove to Tesco and I bought cards, gift wrap and a box of sweets. I'm hoping the care home will make a huge fuss of him - they usually do!

Back home I wrapped the presents, which made me very hot and sweaty! The wrapping paper I'd chosen - a recycled, organic version - was the most annoying paper ever! The sellotape wouldn't stick to it which made me even hotter and more irritated! I am heartily fed up with this weather now! I want coolness and plenty of rain!

Keith and I drove back over to Kettering to take them to Mum so Dad could unwrap them in the morning. We took the scenic route home and the countryside was as parched as I've ever seen it. The farmers have been baling up straw lately and the roads are covered in golden stalks where they've been transporting the loads. I'm very surprised I haven't met a huge tractor yet! 

Back home we tried to keep cool and when Sophie returned it was time for a catch-up around the island. Dinner tonight was very easy - cold meats, salad and the ubiquitous new potatoes! Arrggghhh!


No comments: