Sunday 21 August 2022

Domestic bliss!

Sophie made a beautiful chocolate and courgette cake today, as Mum was coming over this afternoon for a cup of tea. She is still quite wary of walking so I thought the best thing would be for her to come here to relax.

We spent the morning pottering about (I was the pot washer for Sophie when she was making the cake) and I started adding some photos of our holiday in Mallorca in 2003 to Google photos so we can see them more easily. At the moment they're in boxes in our wardrobe and I want to be able to access them any time I want. It means scanning every photo, but it's worth it to have them safely stored on the computer.

At 2pm we went back to see Vera and picked up the dress. From Walgrave we drove to Kettering and I went up to collect my Mum from her room. I have a new friend at the care home now, a man not that much older than me who has dementia (according to my Mum). Although I feel desperately sorry for him, he is slightly creepy and seems to be hanging about by the lift whenever I go up. Today, he accompanied me as I walked down the corridor which was fine, but if he ever tries to get into the lift with me, I will be quite worried!

Mum used a Zimmer frame to walk and I just about managed to get it in the back of my Dad's car. This was a little worrying as we're taking the car on holiday, and I know we'll be taking quite a bit of stuff with us, including my pillows (I'd take the quilt if I could!) a box of provisions and definitely my coffee machine! Home comforts!

Back home Mum walked to the house without the frame and I made sure she was OK. The thought of her falling over again doesn't bear thinking about. We enjoyed the delicious cake with a pot of tea and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the garden. 

When we took Mum back, Sophie came up with me and we left my parents with some cake to enjoy later. As we were about to go back down in the lift, my new friend came over to chat, asking if he could come with us. He is very well-spoken and pleasant but we said no, which he seemed to accept. It's very sad.

Back home we played Scrabble and afterwards looked at photos of our Mallorcan holidays. We'd had some brilliant times on the island with some memorable meals and it was great to read the restaurant reviews that I used to write for an online forum. Let's hope we have some good meals in Spain next month!

No comments: